Another celebrity esacpes a driving ban

Not really, anyone can list any circumstances that would make a ban unworkable. You don't need to be a celeb (or rich) for that.

The lawyer doesn't tell the magistrate what judgement to make.

Somebody needs to tell the magistrate what judgment to make, though; allowing someone rich to keep his licence because it would cause hardship is laughable. The rich can afford to hire chauffeurs.

What is it with magistrates are they overawed by rock stars? Ian Brown of the Stone Roses gets away with a £600 fine and six penalty points for doing 105 mph on the M56.

Celebrity lawyer Nick Freeman said taking the star's wheels could seriously jeopardise the preparation for next year's concerts — the most eagerly-awaited gigs for years.

He added: "The band are rehearsing three days a week at a remote secret location 40 miles from the defendant's home address.

"As someone who is in the public eye, one can imagine the difficulty he would encounter if he was forced to travel on public transport."

Magistrates were told Brown did 50,000 miles a year driving between his home in Lymm, Cheshire, and London to visit his 11-year-old son.

He also ran errands and did a weekly shop for his parents who live about ten miles from his home.

They sold the 3 come back gigs out in 15 minutes, it is not as though he can't afford to pay for a driver, one law for the rich and one law for the rest of us.

Its good of brownie to fetch his old mums grub as there is no online supermarkets in Manchester;secondly why should he have to take the train to London?Even I feel humbled catching buses and stepping aboard thrains with so many strangers around you.I do hope he can hold hs head high and take no notice of the envious paupers who predominate.

Somebody needs to tell the magistrate what judgment to make, though.

Not the defence though, I'm sure you would agree.

allowing someone rich to keep his licence because it would cause hardship is laughable. The rich can afford to hire chauffeurs.

I don't know the offenders circumstances so I couldn't say. That would seem to be a two tier system though, a ban depends on something external to the offence. Clearly that's not fair, I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

Regardless, 105mph at 12:30am on the motorway, not exactly the end of the world.

I'm sure that, aswell as the prevailing conditions at the time, will have been taken into account as part of the judgement. On the face of it, it doesn't seem unduly lenient (IMV).

Archived