Brighthouse repair

Has anyone had this problem with brighthouse? i got an lcd tv from them 3 years ago, ive got 5 weekly payments left to pay i will have paid £3400 for it In total £915 0f that in service cover! (and your right i will never touch them again lol) it got a yellow line down it 5 weeks ago so they duely took it away for repair,they informed me it was awaiting parts! anyway they brought it back, it worked fine for 45 minutes then the screen totally broke down, un watchable. i realised a couple of hours later after inspecting it that it wasnt our tv they brought back! I couldnt work out why the sky remote wouldnt operate it, now i know why.there small print says that under the breakdown cover they will replace the tv if found too expensive to repair, they have told me that they are quite right to replace it with another one that is also 3 years old? this cannot right not after £900 of service cover paid, they deceived me by saying my old one was repaired when it wasnt. They are taking it back again another month with a portable, is this legal? what should i do, they say they only have to give me a tv that will last 5 weeks, after that i have to buy a new one from somewhere, surely a new tv would last longer than 3 years, £3500 to watch tv for 3 years

I suspect that three years' worth of life is not considered reasonable for a modern television set, and you might have a claim for a full refund under the Sale of Goods Act.

However, I'm not sure whether the fact that you accepted their offer to repair/replace the faulty item interferes with that. You might need some proper advice from the CAB or similar.

Was going to say pretty much what HeadingNorth said. You need to find out exactly what your rights are. What does the warranty state? A visit to CAB not a bad idea. Or maybe get some guidance off trading standards. Hope you sort it.

all the warranty states is that while ever the payments are maintained the product will be repaired, if the cost of repair is too expensive then the product will be replaced,and that it wont be replaced while ever there are parts availble for repair this tv has accidental breakage cover as well, brighthouse they yes under this condition they would replace the tv but it would not be new for old it would be like for like

Has anyone had this problem with brighthouse? i got an lcd tv from them 3 years ago, ive got 5 weekly payments left to pay i will have paid £3400 for it In total £915 0f that in service cover! (and your right i will never touch them again lol) it got a yellow line down it 5 weeks ago so they duely took it away for repair,they informed me it was awaiting parts! anyway they brought it back, it worked fine for 45 minutes then the screen totally broke down, un watchable. i realised a couple of hours later after inspecting it that it wasnt our tv they brought back! I couldnt work out why the sky remote wouldnt operate it, now i know why.there small print says that under the breakdown cover they will replace the tv if found too expensive to repair, they have told me that they are quite right to replace it with another one that is also 3 years old? this cannot right not after £900 of service cover paid, they deceived me by saying my old one was repaired when it wasnt. They are taking it back again another month with a portable, is this legal? what should i do, they say they only have to give me a tv that will last 5 weeks, after that i have to buy a new one from somewhere, surely a new tv would last longer than 3 years, £3500 to watch tv for 3 years

Regardless of whether or not it should be repaired or replaced, if they told you it HAS been repaired but really they've just REPLACED it (with another old TV) then they have indeed deceived you. If you have it in writing that they claim they have repaired it then you should give trading standards a ring.

I suspect that three years' worth of life is not considered reasonable for a modern television set, and you might have a claim for a full refund under the Sale of Goods Act.

It's not that simple with Hire Purchase agreements, sadly. He hasn't just bought goods, he has bought a financial service aswell from Brighthouse, and all the contractual problems that come with that. He isn't technically in ownership until he has paid everything.

Sad to say but I think they may have you out on a limb here Rich. They just need to wait until your payments are completed and then the problem is solely yours.

if they told you it HAS been repaired but really they've just REPLACED it (with another old TV) then they have indeed deceived you.

One would need proof before going down that route. Saying 'I suspect that they deceived me but they've taken the tele back now' is little use.

Archived