Eight radical solutions to the housing crisis.

Which of the solution do you favour? (Multiple choice and public poll)  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the solution do you favour? (Multiple choice and public poll)

• Encourage elderly out of big houses
    • Freestyle planning
    • Contain population growth
    • Force landlords to sell or let empty properties
    • Ban second homes
    • Guarantee mortgage payments
    • Live with extended family
    • Build more council homes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15400477

Pressure to address the UK's housing crisis grows ever stronger, with a number of radical solutions being put forward to ease the strain.

1. Encourage elderly out of big houses

2. Freestyle planning

3. Contain population growth

4. Force landlords to sell or let empty properties

5. Ban second homes

6. Guarantee mortgage payments

7. Live with extended family

8. Build more council homes

What do you favour?

Here's a suggestion. How about people wanting to get on the housing ladder save up, say 5% of the deposit on a property, instead of blowing all their spare cash on mobile phone contracts, Sky TV and other gadgets?

Then once they've got the deposit, take out a 95% mortgage repayable over 25 years that they stand a realistic chance of paying off rather than borrowing beyond their means to buy a house they can't afford.

Radical, I know, but it might just work!

Here's a suggestion. How about people wanting to get on the housing ladder save up, say 5% of the deposit on a property, instead of blowing all their spare cash on mobile phone contracts, Sky TV and other gadgets?

Then once they've got the deposit, take out a 95% mortgage repayable over 25 years that they stand a realistic chance of paying off rather than borrowing beyond their means to buy a house they can't afford.

Lol, 5% deposit for a first time buyer.

Will that mean that more houses are built?

Maybe I just need the crisis to be defined more clearly, is it a lack of housing, is it too expensive, what exactly is the nature of the crisis?

What a ridiculous idea, you will never have a property owning democracy with crackpot suggestions like that

You'll be suggesting that people shouldn't spend what they don't have and shouldn't take out lots of loans and credit cards to fund their lifestyle next

Here's a suggestion. How about people wanting to get on the housing ladder save up, say 20% of the deposit on a property, instead of blowing all their spare cash on mobile phone contracts, Sky TV and other gadgets?

Then once they've got the deposit, take out a 80% mortgage repayable over 25 years that they stand a realistic chance of paying off rather than borrowing beyond their means to buy a house they can't afford.

FTFY .

jb

Can you add an option: "Make long-term benefit claimants live in small rooms in large hostel complexes rather than paying for them to have houses or flats".

You know not everyone who's a long term benefit claiment is a scrounger. Maybe they are claiming long term due to an accident "at work" or maybe they have cancer or mental health problems or a disability.

Archived