Eight radical solutions to the housing crisis.

Which of the solution do you favour? (Multiple choice and public poll)  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the solution do you favour? (Multiple choice and public poll)

• Encourage elderly out of big houses
    • Freestyle planning
    • Contain population growth
    • Force landlords to sell or let empty properties
    • Ban second homes
    • Guarantee mortgage payments
    • Live with extended family
    • Build more council homes

IMO one of the reasons for the decline in home ownership has been the falling numbers of council house sales. These reduced for an obvious reason - most of the best ones in the most desirable areas got snapped up quickly! Its also worth remembering that in the 1980s people with mortgages got tax relief, and if they fell on hard times, got help in paying the mortgage. Nowadays, those who rent get much more help in terms of housing benefits than people with mortgages. Another reason for fewer people buying is the restriction on lending. I for one am glad that 105% & 110% mortgages are no longer available, they tempted people into buying what they really couldn't afford.

The private rented sector fulfils a lot of people's needs. Young professionals and students sharing houses and flats, young couples and families who want a choice where they live, but can't afford to buy in the area they want. I've had plenty of experience in my own family of the younger generation renting as they've moved around the country because of their careers. Only when they have settled down have they considered buying.

Also, there are people who are ineligible for social housing because they may only be in the UK for work or to study. Where would they live if there were no private rented properties? The increase in immigration has led to a rising need for rented properties, as contrary to some opinion most immigrants don't go to the front of the queue for council housing. :roll:

Although I agree there is a shortage of affordable rented homes, not everyone who rents wants social housing.

I too am glad people can no longer get 100%+ mortgages as easily as they could before.

People can still get tax relief on mortgages, but only if they have a buy to let mortgages, and due to the lack of council housing, they are practically guaranteed tenants too, the state even provides tenants who can pay large sums of rent due to housing (landlord) benefit.

No wonder houses are unaffordable!

And people with mortgages get a hell of a lot more relief for the state, we have the lowest interest rates ever, and SMI.

We have policies designed to push up the price of housing and enrich landlords, little incentive to build, and policies which deny the working man a roof over his head.

No, you said what's needed is lots more affordable social housing.

Why does affordable matter if you're talking about people who won't be paying for it?

Charity is being given money that you haven't earned. Benefits are charity.

Have you ever thought that housing benefit combined with high rents and low wages is a massive work disincentive.

Consider rent (and housing benefit) of £10 and £100.

Which rent provides the greatest incentive for one to work.

And benefits are not charity, charity is something you receive from another voluntarily. Benefits are very very different to charity. People pay into the system, the system pays out to people. It is not voluntary at all.

3, 4 and 5 look the most sensible to me. I think the 'campaigners' who have suggested no. 1 need their heads looking at - why should people who've worked hard for years, raised a family, paid off their mortgage and so on be forced to move out of their family home? It's bad enough people having to sell their homes to pay for care home fees but making them move to a smaller property just because somebody else wants a bigger house is just ridiculous.

Edit: is it only me, but I don't find some of these solutions particularly radical, e.g. 7 and 8?

Yes,i agree!

And guess what?? The geeky nob whos idea it was,has parents living in a big 5 bedroom house! Bet they love their boy! haha!

The easiest solution is to drop the amount you can claim for housing benefit to £100 a week maximum.

Although the liberals will say thats harsh, £100 is still not bad when your not having to work for it, and then introduced maximum benefit payments so that it is the equivalent of £180 a week (including housing benefit)

Again, although it sounds harsh £180 is still around 30 hours work if you were on the minimum wage, so still very generous for not working.

What would this do?

1) It would be financially impossible to come to the UK to claim benefits if you were an asylum seeker immigrant, with 23 kids - this would reduce demand for housing

2) The rental market would drop like a stone, if housing benefit paid a maximum of £100 a week (£400 a month tops). This would force down the cost of rents making it more affordable for people in work

3) contain population growth - this would happen if benefits did not go up and up with more kids

Exactly .

I have a nice house , detatched ,rural , four bedrooms , what crisis ?.

Ive never been happier .:)

You wont be happy when you are turfed out,and given a 1 bed flat somewhere s**te(then a wonderful family fresh from somalia move in) lol:hihi:

The easiest solution is to drop the amount you can claim for housing benefit to £100 a week maximum.

Although the liberals will say thats harsh, £100 is still not bad when your not having to work for it, and then introduced maximum benefit payments so that it is the equivalent of £180 a week (including housing benefit)

Again, although it sounds harsh £180 is still around 30 hours work if you were on the minimum wage, so still very generous for not working.

What would this do?

1) It would be financially impossible to come to the UK to claim benefits if you were an asylum seeker immigrant, with 23 kids - this would reduce demand for housing

2) The rental market would drop like a stone, if housing benefit paid a maximum of £100 a week (£400 a month tops). This would force down the cost of rents making it more affordable for people in work

3) contain population growth - this would happen if benefits did not go up and up with more kids

I hate to suggest that you speak from a position of ignorance, but maybe you could tell us what the maximum housing benefit/week is in Sheffield?

Have you ever thought that housing benefit combined with high rents and low wages is a massive work disincentive.

Yes, the system needs reforming so that going out to work never reduces your income (by a staged withdrawal of benefits).

Fortunately that reform is in progress at the moment.

Consider rent (and housing benefit) of £10 and £100.

Which rent provides the greatest incentive for one to work.

And benefits are not charity, charity is something you receive from another voluntarily. Benefits are very very different to charity. People pay into the system, the system pays out to people. It is not voluntary at all.

char·i·ty/ˈCHaritē/

Noun:

• The voluntary giving of help, typically money, to those in need.

Benefits are voluntarily given by the state to people in need of help.

They haven't always existed, they might not always exist, the laws that surround them could all be changed because the state makes the law.

It's charity.

Archived