Eight radical solutions to the housing crisis.

Which of the solution do you favour? (Multiple choice and public poll)  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the solution do you favour? (Multiple choice and public poll)

• Encourage elderly out of big houses
    • Freestyle planning
    • Contain population growth
    • Force landlords to sell or let empty properties
    • Ban second homes
    • Guarantee mortgage payments
    • Live with extended family
    • Build more council homes

If something is compulsory by law, how does it fit the "voluntary giving" definition of charity

I accept that the laws may change, but until they do so, I'm not sure you can claim a benefit entitlement payable by law as charity

Because the law was voluntarily set.

If I make a personal rule that I must give £2 a week to a homeless person, it's charity even though there's a rule that tells me I must do it.

Since it's the state that's doing the giving and the state that makes the law, the law in this case is the equivalent of a rule I've set for myself.

Stop giving billions to other nations, build more homes. Its that simple.

And you were doing so well on the other thread.

The easiest solution is to drop the amount you can claim for housing benefit to £100 a week maximum.

Although the liberals will say thats harsh, £100 is still not bad when your not having to work for it, and then introduced maximum benefit payments so that it is the equivalent of £180 a week (including housing benefit)

Again, although it sounds harsh £180 is still around 30 hours work if you were on the minimum wage, so still very generous for not working.

What would this do?

1) It would be financially impossible to come to the UK to claim benefits if you were an asylum seeker immigrant, with 23 kids - this would reduce demand for housing

2) The rental market would drop like a stone, if housing benefit paid a maximum of £100 a week (£400 a month tops). This would force down the cost of rents making it more affordable for people in work

3) contain population growth - this would happen if benefits did not go up and up with more kids

There are definite plus points to this. I'm not convinced that it would be quite as dramatic as you suggest but the idea of capping long term housing benefit, perhaps with local variation, does bring up some interesting issues; from encouraging personal responsibility to reducing the attractiveness of worklessness.

Clearly some people need protection in times of unexpected hardship but creative ideas that reduce long term reliance should be welcomed by most.

There are definite plus points to this. I'm not convinced that it would be quite as dramatic as you suggest but the idea of capping long term housing benefit, perhaps with local variation, does bring up some interesting issues; from encouraging personal responsibility to reducing the attractiveness of worklessness.

Clearly some people need protection in times of unexpected hardship but creative ideas that reduce long term reliance should be welcomed by most.

If there were jobs people would be in work, plus more people in work claim HB and CTB THAN THOSE OUT OF WORK!

If housing benefits do keep going up, then it costs more to rent housing.

Peoples wages are not going up, and so in effect working people are being priced out of housing.

Thats not right

Archived