100,000 signatures - Commons debate?

I did read

You asked

if a petition was started solely for a specific area, say Sheffield, which has a population of around 535,000, and that petition gained 0.16% signatures of that population, would that be enough to guarantee a debate in the House of Commons?

The answer is NO.

I did read

You asked

if a petition was started solely for a specific area, say Sheffield, which has a population of around 535,000, and that petition gained 0.16% signatures of that population, would that be enough to guarantee a debate in the House of Commons?

The answer is NO.

Calm down dear , calm down... Read the whole thread in context dear.

All i am saying is that, if MPs can attend they SHOULD attend.

Should they attend every minute of every debate or just for the vote?

As others have said, there are many other responsibilities of MPs both in Westminster and in their constituency

I would rather my MP represent his constituency and constituents properly rather than just attend debates for the sake of it (or because 100,000 people in the country want him to debate something)

Should they attend every minute of every debate or just for the vote?

As others have said, there are many other responsibilities of MPs both in Westminster and in their constituency

I would rather my MP represent his constituency and constituents properly rather than just attend debates for the sake of it (or because 100,000 people in the country want him to debate something)

Shouldn't your MP also represent his constituents properly by voting on issues that affect them?

Shouldn't your MP also represent his constituents properly by voting on issues that affect them?

Yes, but not all issues affecting constituents are resolved by having a vote in the House of Commons

edit - and most votes in the House of Commons are foregone conclusions anyway

Archived