Mystery about Shakespeare.

its a conspiracy theory thats been going on a long time,that shakespeare wasnt the author of the famous plays.---recently brought into focus again with the release of a new film "anomymous".

it seems many people believe this. they suggest that because of his humble origins he could not have been educated enough to have written the works.

this reeks of class snobbery to me.

any thoughts?

they suggest that because of his humble origins he could not have been educated enough to have written the works.

any thoughts?

In today's world, the accusation of class snobbery would be valid. In Shakespeare's time, if you didn't have lots of money then you couldn't afford to learn to read and write.

In today's world, the accusation of class snobbery would be valid. In Shakespeare's time, if you didn't have lots of money then you couldn't afford to learn to read and write.

so they've established then after all these years that he must have been illiterate.took them a long time to come to that conclusion.

what if he had a relative with some wealth that helped pay for him to have some schooling.

wasnt it at all possible for someone to work their way up in life.i'm sure some managed it.

so they've established then after all these years that he must have been illiterate.took them a long time to come to that conclusion.

what if he had a relative with some wealth that helped pay for him to have some schooling.

wasnt it at all possible for someone to work their way up in life.i'm sure some managed it.

I'm not supporting the conspiracy theory as a whole; I know nothing about Shakespeare's life, but then nobody knows anything very much about it.

I merely wanted to point out that what seems like snobbery in today's world is a valid point to raise in 16th-century England. Shakespeare must have got his education from somewhere, and it wouldn't have been cheap.

A large number of possible "real authors" of Shakespeare's works have been mooted; Bacon, the Earl of Oxford, Christopher Marlowe after faking his own death ... all of them, so far as I know, have been subjected to literary analysis and "Shakespeare's" writings are inconsistent with their own writing styles, so by far the most likely story is that Shakespeare actually did write them himself.

I'm not supporting the conspiracy theory as a whole; I know nothing about Shakespeare's life, but then nobody knows anything very much about it.

I merely wanted to point out that what seems like snobbery in today's world is a valid point to raise in 16th-century England. Shakespeare must have got his education from somewhere, and it wouldn't have been cheap.

A large number of possible "real authors" of Shakespeare's works have been mooted; Bacon, the Earl of Oxford, Christopher Marlowe after faking his own death ... all of them, so far as I know, have been subjected to literary analysis and "Shakespeare's" writings are inconsistent with their own writing styles, so by far the most likely story is that Shakespeare actually did write them himself.

Wasn't Shakespeare's mother from a wealthy family..?

its a conspiracy theory thats been going on a long time,that shakespeare wasnt the author of the famous plays.---recently brought into focus again with the release of a new film "anomymous".

it seems many people believe this. they suggest that because of his humble origins he could not have been educated enough to have written the works.

any thoughts?

During Shakespeare's time England was ruled by snobbery, if you were born in the wrong family, you had no prospects. The anti-Stratfordism conspiracy as it's known is a fringe belief with historians, that isn't really taken seriously.

Archived