Mystery about Shakespeare.

Four friends/colleagues used to collaborate, they were Anthony Munday, Henry Chettle, William Shakespeare, John Stow. Shakespeare wouldn't have rubbed shoulders with these people if he wasn't an author and writer.

Anthony Munday wrote at least 17 plays, of which only a handful survive. He may be the author of Fedele and Fortunio (c. 1584), an adaptation of an Italian original; it was performed at court and printed in 1585. His best-known plays are two pseudo-histories on the life of the legendary outlaw hero Robin Hood, The Downfall of Robert, Earl of Huntingdon and The Death of Robert, Earl of Huntingdon (both 1598) possibly with help from Henry Chettle. He was probably the main author of Sir Thomas More (c. 1590–93), a play that William Shakespeare helped to revise. Munday ceased to write plays after 1602, but during 1605–23 he wrote at least five of the pageants with which the lord mayor of London celebrated his entry into office. A friend of the chronicler John Stow, he was responsible for enlarged editions of Stow's Survey of London in 1618 and 1633.

Four friends/colleagues used to collaborate, they were Anthony Munday, Henry Chettle, William Shakespeare, John Stow. Shakespeare wouldn't have rubbed shoulders with these people if he wasn't an author and writer.

Anthony Munday wrote at least 17 plays, of which only a handful survive. He may be the author of Fedele and Fortunio (c. 1584), an adaptation of an Italian original; it was performed at court and printed in 1585. His best-known plays are two pseudo-histories on the life of the legendary outlaw hero Robin Hood, The Downfall of Robert, Earl of Huntingdon and The Death of Robert, Earl of Huntingdon (both 1598) possibly with help from Henry Chettle. He was probably the main author of Sir Thomas More (c. 1590–93), a play that William Shakespeare helped to revise. Munday ceased to write plays after 1602, but during 1605–23 he wrote at least five of the pageants with which the lord mayor of London celebrated his entry into office. A friend of the chronicler John Stow, he was responsible for enlarged editions of Stow's Survey of London in 1618 and 1633.

thankyou for enlightening me .i feel very much more educated now.

As I recall from my A Levels, there's evidence to suggest that he didn't write some of the text in some of his plays. It's been suggested that Hecate's scenes, and perhaps some of the witches' dialogue, in 'Macbeth' were shoehorned in after the fact from another play - 'The Witches' or 'The Witch' or some such similar title, written by someone else. The Hecate scenes tend not to be included in performances, even though 'Macbeth' is rather on the short side.

Could be wrong though; A Levels were a long time ago.

As I recall from my A Levels, there's evidence to suggest that he didn't write some of the text in some of his plays. It's been suggested that Hecate's scenes, and perhaps some of the witches' dialogue, in 'Macbeth' were shoehorned in after the fact from another play - 'The Witches' or 'The Witch' or some such similar title, written by someone else. The Hecate scenes tend not to be included in performances, even though 'Macbeth' is rather on the short side.

Could be wrong though; A Levels were a long time ago.

interesting-------wish i'd done A levels

interesting-------wish i'd done A levels

but thanks for reminding me about macbeth. i went to see it at the crucible some years back.

i was doing an english literature course at the time (mature student) first time i had really got into shakespeare. never really understood it at school.

was worth the wait.

Archived