How safe is my bank account?

A gentleman with an Asian accent rang me today claiming to represent the Ministry of Justice. He told me that I had banked with RBS for several years (true) and that there had been several errors over this period resulting in a repayment of £4800 being due to me.

After I'd stopped laughing I told him that he would need my bank details so he could make the payment. He said he already had them and quoted the names on the account, sort code and account number (all correct). I told him to send me a cheque and he quoted back to me my address complete with postcode. He then started off on some more spiel which I cut short.

A quick check with my bank branch and nothing appeared amiss but just how safe is my hard earned?

It's a bit worrying that all that information including my phone number is in the hands of scam merchants.

A gentleman with an Asian accent rang me today claiming to represent the Ministry of Justice. He told me that I had banked with RBS for several years (true) and that there had been several errors over this period resulting in a repayment of £4800 being due to me.

After I'd stopped laughing I told him that he would need my bank details so he could make the payment. He said he already had them and quoted the names on the account, sort code and account number (all correct). I told him to send me a cheque and he quoted back to me my address complete with postcode. He then started off on some more spiel which I cut short.

A quick check with my bank branch and nothing appeared amiss but just how safe is my hard earned?

It's a bit worrying that all that information including my phone number is in the hands of scam merchants.

When you write a cheque you disclose bank details,and if you have sheffield branch you can be traced throught the phone book etc.Anyone can obtain such data.My firm saves all chque details and sells them on for a profit.IUt seems fair game as everyone does it-I am surprised they have taken so long to track you down.Perhaps the scammers see you a grade 3 client with limited assets.

have you used your credit card to purchase anything online.

have you used your credit card to purchase anything online.

Several times, however it's my bank account details I was concerned about.

Did the bank explain to you how some-one could of obtained an account number and a sort code? I'm afraid I'd be asking for a new account to be set up as I'm exttremely careful that I don't hand out info like that.

As qnvqsos says, you hand out that information every time you draw a cheque.

Its a complete scam. NEVER give any of your bank details out to a random caller and certainly not over a public forum you have no control what they will do with them.

It sounds to me like some crappy sales call. The real Ministry of Justice would never cold call people that's not their job.

Any issues with the RBS should always first be discussed with your bank or the onbudsman.

Its a complete scam. NEVER give any of your bank details out to a random caller and certainly not over a public forum you have no control what they will do with them.

It sounds to me like some crappy sales call. The real Ministry of Justice would never cold call people that's not their job.

Any issues with the RBS should always first be discussed with your bank or the onbudsman.

The real Ministry of Justice?!

It is a scam!

Archived