Work any Telly remotes?? do you think this will work?

I have an old style JVC telly, and i cant get it to switch off the standby mode, its possible a problem with the remote as you need the remote to turn it on, it wont turn on via the channel buttons. However it could also be that saddly the box has reached its end :(.

Just been having a look on the Argos website at this.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9289341/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/Trail/searchtext%3EREMOTE.htm

The reviews look good but i gather that you need to enter a code to make it work with your TV, but as i cant actually get the bugger off standby im not sure it will do the trick :confused:.

GRRR im rubbish with owt like this, im sure for the price of it, its worth giving it a bash. What to do?

or ask if any local friendly forumer has a compatible remote and can come round to test...

hang on - You CAN test remotes!

Have you got a digital camera or camcorder? for some reason, the infrared beam from the remote shows as white light through a camcorder, so look at it's sharp end through your camcorder/camera as you press its buttons. If you can't see anything going on, it's the remote that's dead. If you can, it's the telly that's the problem

You don't have a flashing standby light do you?

The pre-programmed ones where you enter a code are not guaranteed to work with all TV's especially some of the modern ones but as its and old TV it may work.

Buy one from poundland first a give it a try as they all have the same code base details. If it don't work then you may need one that you can programme to learn the codes.

Just had a look at the code base on mine and it says;

JVC = 0077, 0119, 0178, 0179

or ask if any local friendly forumer has a compatible remote and can come round to test...

Have you got a digital camera or camcorder? for some reason, the infrared beam from the remote shows as white light through a camcorder, so look at it's sharp end through your camcorder/camera as you press its buttons. If you can't see anything going on, it's the remote that's dead. If you can, it's the telly that's the problem

ahh i shall have a look with the camcorder later, thats pretty impressive thinking strix and certainly not something i would have thought of in a million years! :hihi:

No flashy standby light its solid and changes from red to green, which it does it i switch the DVD on so i know there is power to it. However i think the TV must have been switched onto a channel that has no picture (gosh this is getting confusing, well for me anyway :D ) as we can only get a picture through the virgin box as the aerial is also knackered! :hihi:

I suppose the batteries in the remote are still good?

Yes they're fine :)

The pre-programmed ones where you enter a code are not guaranteed to work with all TV's especially some of the modern ones but as its and old TV it may work.

Buy one from poundland first a give it a try as they all have the same code base details. If it don't work then you may need one that you can programme to learn the codes.

Just had a look at the code base on mine and it says;

JVC = 0077, 0119, 0178, 0179

Thank you i had no idea that poundland did them :)

Some cameras have an infrared filter in front of their sensor so that might not work.

@mrseggy

Try the camera with a different remote to check that Strix's trick will work.

Just tried it with the camera and the remote it working, so it appears to be the TV thats at fault, there is every chance tho that my toddler has pressed something! (makes mental note to not leave the little terror unattended while taking a pee AGAIN!! :suspect:) but WHAT? grrr hopefully my other half will be home soon, and he can figure it out :help:

Archived