The EU wants to rename the English channel - "Le pond".

I think people have missed the date this story was originally published - 1st April....

5th actually :D

But don't let pedantry get in the way of a pointless Daily Fail non-story :D

I'm not sure this is an April Fool, as it appears to be 'based' on facts... BUT as normal for the Mail, it's a massive twisting of the truth. Fortunately, someone has researched it here: escapistmagazine.com

I quote [with swearing removed]

"This story is *. The EU does not want to rename the channel at all.

....... The Daily Fail have conveniently not bothered posting any information that could allow anyone to check this up for themselves. Which is just as well for them in their never-ending quest to whip up anti-Euro opprobrium on as trivial grounds as possible, because they'd look very foolish. With a spot of Google research I've found some media sources who have covered it in slightly more detail and have links to where it's coming from:

http://www.arcmanche.com/en/the-arc-manche/presentation/

http://www.emdi.certic.unicaen.fr/en/programme/enjeux.html

What the EMDI is, is an attempt to create a cohesive strategic vision (economy, transport, etc) for the Channel, with cooperation between the UK and France, to make the best of the area. It's hard to see why this is stupid or a problem, or why it should be denied EU funding.

I had a scan through the EMDI's strategic vision, and the name change is not in evidence. By scanning through the EMDI website further, I did find mention of this term "Anglo-french Pond". They created a detailed map called the "Transmanche Atlas" containing a load of the details, which refers to the Channel so. This is merely an evocative jargon expression to describe what the Channel represents, not any interest in actually changing the name in the UK or France, and no money is actually going towards changing the name.

So, this is made-up * of the highest order. Virtually every story detailing some particularly ridiculous EU activity such as this is the result of some slimy journalist scumbag lying, mangling, grossly over-exaggerating and taking out of context to squeeze out a piece of political propaganda."

:)

Gullible isn't even an english word - it has never been in the english dictionary.

The OED says otherwise:

gullible

n adjective easily persuaded to believe something; credulous.

DERIVATIVES

gullibility noun

gullibly adverb

ORIGIN

C19: from gull2 + -ible.

Archived