Could all life be alien to this planet?

How I see, so it's me who's failing to understand it is it?

OK then, I'll ask of you what I ask of Jehovah's witnesses when they start talking down to me.

If your failure to convert me frustrates you, why don't you convince me?

Its you that claimed not to understand.

Who mentioned assumptions? That insinuates that all scientists do is think up theories. Testing these theories is far more important in science, thinking up a hypothesis is only the very start of the process.

All we can do is interpret the universe with the information we have, and then vigourously test these interpretations. The more information we gain, the more we understand the universe. It's a never ending process.

The only way "no cause" theories can work is if scientists accept that the universe defies the rules of the logical reasoning being applied. If the universe defies the rules of logical reasoning, logical reasoning can't be applied can it?

So whats plausible about "no cause" theories?

It's not remotely unfathomable. It has been fathomed. How else do you think people have come to that conclusion?

Yes it is unfathomable. No it hasn't been fathomed, and scientists reached their conclusion by firstly applying logic, then acknowledging that logic doesn't apply before concluding that "no cause" must be the logical conclusion.

The only way "no cause" theories can work is if scientists accept that the universe defies the rules of the logical reasoning being applied. If the universe defies the rules of logical reasoning, logical reasoning can't be applied can it?

So whats plausible about "no cause" theories?

I don't accept your premise. Taken from this website. Have a quick read.

The real problem with this question of what caused the big bang is ultimately a biological one; our brains have evolved to assume that everything has a cause, we can't imagine any event ever not having one.

The answer to the cause of the universe will almost certainly be something strange and, by definition, wholly beyond our experience. Our occluded brains must always be open the answer, especially when asking questions that push the limits of our capacity to understand.

Archived