Launching two new rock nights in town

Classic Rock

Originally posted by sallie

So does this mean there are two rock nights on tuesdays, Westway and red house? judging by the poor turnout at the westway last week wouldnt have thought two pubs could pull it off on the same night, if any during the week?:confused:

I have to say I'm completely with Jozafeen regaring location and

It does have a lot of shut down industry on the road which makes it seem quiet.

hasn't done a lot to reassure me.

As far as the nights go I think they're different enough to work; if you just want to chill out to a few rock tunes you've requested there's Westway but if you fancy the rock quiz then there's that. You could even do both, who knows it could be the start of a Tuesday rock route?

As for the numbers at Westway, its like you and Goldenfleece have said its about spreading the word and people taking advantage of whats available to them. Last week was bigger than the week before, and all indications are that this week will be even bigger. There are plenty enough of rockers in Sheffield I'm sure:)

As for the numbers at Westway, its like you and Goldenfleece have said its about spreading the word and people taking advantage of whats available to them. Last week was bigger than the week before, and all indications are that this week will be even bigger. There are plenty enough of rockers in Sheffield I'm sure:) [/b]

Plenty of rockers in this town for sure.....regrettably most of them are lazy ********. I gave up trying to get people off their butts and down town for weeknight events ages ago.....range of excuses follows this standard line for weeknight events...

"babysitters (moan moan)...mortgage (moan moan moan)...Hire purchase on the telly (moan moan)....too cold, too wet, too dry, too hot, no buses, no car, taxis too expensive, having a takeaway, sister coming to stay for the week and she hates rock music, got to bath the dog, cat or budgie, having a bath, washing hair,. washing ceiling, bad toe, bad foot, bad arm, bad brain, got to re-wire the house, no money, no clothes, no food, no life...."

DIfficult!!!!

But I will be there regardless of any of the above.

Question is, more than one event may cause some confusion. If HALF the people from Westway go to the quiz, it will not be good for Westway, although very good for Buffy. However, I am thinking a different kind of rocker does rock quizzes than would go to a pure rock disco???

At least the option is there. It's not a competition, I'm a bit worried that it's being seen to be one, it isn't and it shouldn't be. There are so few rock nights we should all savour and support the ones that are created irrespective of whether they're being held in a trendy wine bar or in a back street bar. The fact is that they're there, the rock fans of the city will support them no matter where they are. The Tuesday rock nights will be different. One will be music back to back and one will have a quiz and some chuntering on the mic with some free ale to be won.

The Red House is on a back street and has suffered over recent months by local industry closing around it and by flats being rebuilt around it. That doesn't mean it should be avoided, far from it. It's time to put it back on the map of drinking establishments, it's a prime example of the type of bar that rockers love, ones that have had a hard time and struggled to survive or have gone under because of outside influences (eg the CRB and the Yorkshireman). Don't worry about quiet roads - most of the city centre has quiet roads on a Tuesday night. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Classic Rock

At least the option is there. It's not a competition, I'm a bit worried that it's being seen to be one, it isn't and it shouldn't be. There are so few rock nights we should all savour and support the ones that are created irrespective of whether they're being held in a trendy wine bar or in a back street bar.

This is true. I am keen to see WESTWAY work as its been on for 3 weeks now and its got so much raw potential..... As I said, I think a certain type of rocker will go for quizzes and others for conventional disco.....I may be wrong but not sure if these nights will get people going to both, but it will be good to see what happens. If I can, I will go to both anyway, but have to see what time I manage to get to town. Is RED HOUSE late opening tonight, dont think Westway is.....not been there (Red House) for ages but I do remember it being a very cosy and intimate sort of pub....

Archived