Sheffield, why no Michelin stars?

PhilH

I'm a person who enjoys good food and my partner and I are trying to rack up a few visits to the exclusive restaurants in the UK. So far this year have been to The Kitchin (Edinburgh, 1 star), Le Gavroche (Mayfair, 2 stars) and Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester (Mayfair, 3 stars)...why do we not have any exquisite fare in Sheffield being such a large city?

Did you like Le Gavroche, I found it to be very "ordinary" ?

Sheffielders will not pay through the nose for overpriced poncey small portions we only support restaurants that supply well cooked food fairly priced.The michelin star system is tosh i would not eat in any of them.

Well, I think that's the other extreme tbh. To dismiss places that have been nationally/internationally accoladed for their food says more about you than them.

I think it's fine to say, it's not your thing, but to dismiss it as rubbish makes you look an ignorant fool.

Having eaten at Michelin restaurants for over thirty years I think that appearance and presentation now count for far more than the actual taste of the food. Not to my liking but many must prefer it.

Do tell us why you have persisted in eating at Michelin starred restaurants for over 30 years if the food is not to your liking? This is an astonishing admission! Are you some kind of gastronomic masochist?

(or maybe you've never been to one but just like to say so , so you can pretend it's rubbish?):hihi:

Do tell us why you have persisted in eating at Michelin starred restaurants for over 30 years if the food is not to your liking? This is an astonishing admission! Are you some kind of gastronomic masochist?

(or maybe you've never been to one but just like to say so , so you can pretend it's rubbish?):hihi:

Can only afford one a year now. Last one was Arbutus, year before Old Rectory.Didn't think either worth the price. Best restaurant of the past few years was Villa Maritza in Ostend ( now there's a place that's changed a lot). Attractive with good service but the food was the star.

• 4 weeks later...
What is the Old Vicarage like? I've never been but I take the opening poster's hint that it's worth avoiding.

I'd agree with the OP's hint (and yes, I've also eaten at Fischers and Morston Hall, Norfolk).

My top-tip for 'fine dining' in Sheffield would be the Greenhead House in Chapeltown

I'd agree with the OP's hint (and yes, I've also eaten at Fischers and Morston Hall, Norfolk).

My top-tip for 'fine dining' in Sheffield would be the Greenhead House in Chapeltown

Morston Hall was the best meal I have ever eaten (back in summer 2010) - and the chef (Galton Blackiston) came round to every table for a chat and feedback after service (they do a one sitting dinner with set menu which changes every day).

Off to fischers in Dec for our anniversary which we are looking forward to (only ever been once before , for lunch and was very good)

I always like that as well as the Vicarage. I think there was also a great place called Rafters and an Italian place by Millhouses Park. All were excellent but I may be out of touch.

Archived