"Daddy bought me this, Daddy bought me that"

About as many people voted for the Conservatives in 2010 as voted for Labour in their landslide of 1997.

If anything, it seems unfair on the Conservatives and the majority that voted for them.

it's a tough old electoral system! - off the top of my head the Conservatives got 35% (ish) - not exactly a majority

You think the Conservatives are hard done to, try being a supporter of one of the minority parties - the liberals (and LIb Dems) used to get about 15-20% of the popular vote, but rarely got more than about 5% of the seats (although I haven't paid a lot of attention to the actual numbers in the last couple of general election results so it may have improved a bit)

as i say, it's a tough old system - you can see why the LibDems want to change it

edit - I've just wiki'd it - in 1997 Labour got 13,518,167 votes - equivalent to 43% - in 2010 the Conservatives got 10,703,754 votes, equivalent to 36% so there is actually a fair bit of difference between Labour in 1997 and Conservatives in 2010 and not really "about as many people"

Archived