Optician with big selection of glasses frames?

I've just had an eye test and have been told I need glasses - I've never had them before and I really hated all of the ones I tried on at my optician, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an optician that has a big choice of different frames that I could try. I'll have a look in Boots next time I'm in town but otherwise I'm a bit clueless, since I've never needed glasses before. Any suggestions, preferably somewhere in S6 or town?

Take someone with you, after trying on 3 pairs you will have no idea if they look good or not! Just don't take one of those people that buy fashion frames every year and think they look cool.

Meadowhall has quite a few opticians, there is also Axis Optical on Carlisle Street, open to the public and half the price of high street opticians.

If you are not loaded then try a few pairs on in town or Meadowhall or somewhere so you get an idea of what suits you, then look at Glasses direct on the net. MUCH cheaper and the same quality.

I've used all the big chains - Boots, Specsavers, Vision Express etc etc - over the years.

But I now go to:

Pinstone Eye Care59 Bellhouse Road

Sheffield, South Yorkshire S5 6HJ

0114 256 2501

Excellent service, wide range, good value.

When I broke my glasses 2 days before an overseas business trip, they fixed me an urgent eye test and a new pair within 24 hours. Brilliant.

you could always try wearing two monocles :)

Don't encourage me!!

I might go to Meadowhall tonight and have a wander round, I do agree that I should take someone with me for a second opinion though. What a boring outing for whichever poor victim I take along with me though, walking round Meadowhall looking at me in pairs and pairs of different glasses :(

As a first time buyer of glasses any reputable optician should be helping and advising you on frames, colours and shapes. Your face and head should have been measured to get the correct size. You don't need a large selection you just need help from qualified and experienced staff. Don't pick frames because they are "trendy", frames need to suit the shape of your face and your colouring.

I've worn glasses for years and get totally confused with a large choice. Select 3/4 frames and choose from them. Good Luck

Archived