Are We Going Back To The Dark Ages..

I think its is important that people do not consume so much, after all there is only so much natural resources (ie, fuel and water) to serve everyone.

Its good that prices are being hiked to such an extent that people are now having to think, do I eat or do I heat? the mindset here is the following

Do I eat?.....yes, but then I don't put on the heating. Now this is good because it saves resources

Do I heat?....yes, but I now don't eat and now I save world food stocks.

Starving to death, or freezing to death is a side issue.

THis summer, I could only have my sprinkler system on for 11 hours each day instead of 18 hours, and now we only have the heating on in the winter months, rather than from September to May.

We have also cut down on car usage, we now only have a 3.0 litre jaguar, iand we walk to the paper shop 3 doors away, instead of using the car.

Everyone has to do there bit, and we are certainly cutting back

That's the important point to the whole debate.

Tesco don't shut down the independant shops, we do !!!

Shops close when people stop shopping in them, Tesco is not immune.

But, as barleycorn said the local shops could do a bit to help themselves, only being open when the working population is at work isn't a brilliant move.

But, as barleycorn said the local shops could do a bit to help themselves, only being open when the working population is at work isn't a brilliant move.

Yes I agree, but in recent years as more corner shops became owned by Asian families they were open long hours.

Which unfortunately led to countless fires in homes and smokey polluted air. Do you remember always hearing fire engines? Having said that, nothing beats a real coal fire.

As a kid it was the highlight of the month when someones chimmney caught fire :D

But they tend to not be butchers/grocers/bakers etc, more "general overpriced crap" shops.

Yes you are right, nor do they have the variety. My sister had a succesful general store for years, sold allsorts inc meat, fruit and veg and anything people asked for really, but not a big variety.

One day a Co-Op opened directly opposite. They undercut all the prices because they had a slick distribution setup with very efficient logistics.

Local shops don't have that and have to take a van round all the suppliers.

Now if all independent traders had formed a viable association they would have prevented big supermarket chains ever going local.

Shared logistics.... lower costs!

It won't just be old people not putting the heating on this winter. There are a lot of people in dire straights, both working and non-working, who will have to choose between heating and food.

And it's going to get worse...

Really? - I thought there were only 4 of them, they got their money for nothing and their chicks for free.:hihi:

Archived