Job Opportunity?

If there are any suitably skilled unemployed out there looking to set up their own business can I suggest becoming an all purpose Handyman (or woman.)

From people I've talked to, there seems to be a real need for someone who is prepared to take on all those little jobs that never get done. Old people especially need this service. The price has to be right of course, as old people don't have much money to spare, but when you can't even stand on a chair to change a lightbulb, help is needed.

The workmen around charge too much in my opinion, whereas someone with a good reliable reputation who gets personal referals and charges a reasonable rate would I'm sure be able to make a good living from lots of little jobs.

What do you think?

I think you might be expecting too much for too little.

You would need to define little jobs. If it is something as simple as changing a lightbulb, then fair enough, a standard call out charge should suffice. However, if you start talking about leaking radiators, shorting out sockets etc. Then you are moving away from a handyman, on to someone who is fully qualified, with insurance and all the right tools to do the job.

I don't drive so i do not know how much it costs in fuel to get from one side of the city and back so i will not guess. On top of that cost you would need to add the cost of public liability insurance (even for the most simple task), tax and national insurance, before getting to how much the handyman will earn from doing the job.

I would be surprised if a handyman could do any job for less than £15 without losing money.

I've used several people from this forum for 'odd jobs'. One or two were brilliant, the rest were garbage.

That's the trouble with 'odd jobs'. Most 'handymen' will just take on any job, regardless of whether they've done anything similar before. And make a ****-up out of it.

That's pretty much the definition of 'handy' though, no real qualification or expertise in any field just around to do the work, like a husband :D

If there are any suitably skilled unemployed out there looking to set up their own business can I suggest becoming an all purpose Handyman (or woman.)

From people I've talked to, there seems to be a real need for someone who is prepared to take on all those little jobs that never get done. Old people especially need this service. The price has to be right of course, as old people don't have much money to spare, but when you can't even stand on a chair to change a lightbulb, help is needed.

The workmen around charge too much in my opinion, whereas someone with a good reliable reputation who gets personal referals and charges a reasonable rate would I'm sure be able to make a good living from lots of little jobs.

What do you think?

Great business that isn't it? You remind me of that little Hitler women who's getting money off the government to help bully people back into work.

Interesting responses, thankyou.

I didn't mean to offend qualified tradesmen or poach their terratory. I also take your point about insurance etc.

What prompted me was an elderly aunt who phones her son in Leicester to come over to do simple jobs (like change a lightbulb) and was charged £80 to replace a bit of skirting board. That seemed a lot to me.

Archived