Should people have the right to be paid their wages in cash?

Should the people in the UK have the right to be paid their wages in cash?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should the people in the UK have the right to be paid their wages in cash?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't know.

The most rediculous thread yet.

Cash wages would be a logistical nightmare. There are no proper records, huge conflicts with little evidence in the event of overpayment or underpayments, high security risks plus the inconvenience of having to physically go around making cash payments for utilities, rent (because of course without a bank there would be no mortgages) and of course nowhere to keep your money safe and secure.

The print and circulation of notes would have to go into overdrive as every single company in the country would need thousands/millions/billions of pounds worth of cash each and every week/month. Any idea of the impact of resources that would do.

Staffing costs would go through the roof because of course you would need people to securely deliver, count, check, audit, despatch to workers, observe the handover, sign off the transactions x the number of employees week in week out.

There would be an increase in risk management and security of these operations, audit procedures and year end would be made more complex and there would be a increased risk in money laundering and criminal activity as there is no proven trace or record of funds transferred.

So, in answer to the OP. No there should not be a right.

As someone else has told you if you want to nothing to do with the banks then dont. If you have a job, ask them for a cheque. Go and get this cashed and hey presto. You will never have to enter those nasty evil banks again. OR you could just get an account with the coop bank instead. They are ethical as its their own members that look after it OR the Nationwide OR indeed any other building society which, again is owned by its members OR an independent private bank owned by nothing more than a sole or collective ownership.

Never mind. Have fun trying to find somewhere to cash your wages cheque without taking a cut.

Seriously, why do you constantly appear to want to drag this country back to the dark ages??

Doh!

That's an appalling analogy, even for you.

I'm not going to point out the three principle idiocies neatly contained in that statement, because you already know what they are!

--

I for one would like to be paid in real money, rather than virtual money.

The powers that be would like to see cash permanently abolished. I don't think this is a good thing. The nice thing about cash is it can't be vanished into or created out of thin air as easily as virtual money can be.

Whatever for? So you can personally take it to the bank and pay it in?

Why not take it a step further and be paid in goats?

Being paid in cash would be a pain. Most people hardly ever spend cash, they pay things by direct debit or online bank transfer, or by using new-fangled technology like credit or debit cards.

Making a fuss about wanting cash instead is an almost Luddite attitude.

Whatever for? So you can personally take it to the bank and pay it in?

Why not take it a step further and be paid in goats?

Being paid in cash would be a pain. Most people hardly ever spend cash, they pay things by direct debit or online bank transfer, or by using new-fangled technology like credit or debit cards.

Making a fuss about wanting cash instead is an almost Luddite attitude.

Wrong. Poorer people very often do and very poor people tend not to have bank accounts.

I know you think the poor are worthless scum, but they aren't really and they do have needs too.

Wrong. Poorer people very often do and very poor people tend not to have bank accounts.
If they're in paid employment in the UK they're not 'very poor'. Anybody who does not have a bank account is a fool to themselves and should be given assistance and whatever appropriate guidance to help them open one.

I know you think the poor are worthless scum, but they aren't really and they do have needs too.
You don't know that, you wrongly assume it.

Like you, I have more respect for some people than others. Unlike you, as it happens, I don't tend to call the people I least prefer 'scum' at every opportunity ;)

I don't have a bank account. Don't want one either

You might want a goat in your pocket, I don't.

Out of interest where would you keep your savings? You do know you can open an account at the Post Office which is just to receive wages/benefits into?

If everyone did the same, instead of hoarding it, things would be much better.

The problem is that the talk about reccession etc is a self fufilling prophecy..people read the headlines then get scared to spend, just in case, and hey presto we have a recession and everyone can say "Told you so"

Archived