Furness family tree

irisbrooke

hi im doing the furness family tree my mother in law was joan furness they lived at eym the time of the plague then moved to stannington, they had the rivling pub or hotel, at one time going back a few years ive a lot on them but noting about the time of the plague

hi im doing the furness family tree my mother in law was joan furness they lived at eym the time of the plague then moved to stannington, they had the rivling pub or hotel, at one time going back a few years ive a lot on them but noting about the time of the plague

The plague in Eyam was nearly 400 years ago- this would make it difficult for her to be your mother in law.

Was "joan furness" her maiden name?

Sheffield History lists Furness as landlords at Rivelin Hotel,Tofts Lane from 1893 to 1922

Census information:

1851 Pond, Stannington

1871 Butterthwaite Wheel, Ecclesfield

1881 64, Brunswick Rd

1891 Liberty Hill, Bradfield, Stannington

1901/1911 census shows the family at the pub (under Stannington not Sheffield)

The son of the publican had a son Albert who had a son Walter who married a Joan Bullas in 1920.

All above are Bradfield/Worrall born.

The Furne(i)ss families of Eyam are well documented and a Google search will link you to researchers.

Try FreeBMD

Are you a rellie of the Furness who owned the Gannister mines at Little Matlock, Stannington?

If so, there is a book on the mines on sale at the Bradfield Archives in the Bradfield Council offices which you maybe interested in.

The Archive is only open every Thursday.

I hope this helps

PopT

Hi

There is a list of plague victims online at http://www.eyamplaguevillage.co.uk/index.php/eyam-plague/plague-victims but there are no Furness's mentioned. If your family were in Eyam at that time I would think that they would have perhaps lost someone to the plague that would have been mentioned, but the poet Richard Furness was born in Eyam much later in 1791 if that is any help to you.

:)

Hi

I'm also researching the Furniss family and I was surprised to find no Furniss plague deaths in Eyam; however, they were definitely there at the time, including my husband's 8x ggrandfather Martin. A William Hawkesworth, married to Sarah Furniss, died of plague in 1666.

Archived