Furness family tree

irisbrooke

Hi, I'm a Furness (by marriage) my father in law is David Furness from Stannington. He has a sister called Gill that still lives up in Stannington, he's 64 and was born in Stannington in 1947? i think his sister is younger than him but not by much. His mum was called Dorothy and his dad was either John or Jack Furness, my knowledge of them is very vague as they both died about 10-15yrs ago.

Eventually I hope to find out how all the Furnisses or Furnesses are linked! So far my husband's line is Eyam/ Longstone/ Ashford/ Matlock/ Sheffield, but I'm looking much wider than this at other lines. Will let you know!

Eventually I hope to find out how all the Furnisses or Furnesses are linked! So far my husband's line is Eyam/ Longstone/ Ashford/ Matlock/ Sheffield, but I'm looking much wider than this at other lines. Will let you know!

My wife is linked to the Furniss family from Eyam, her link is through the Fox family.

• 2 years later...

I think I'm correct in writing that it wasn't the villagers of Eyam who cut themselves off but the Duke of Devonshire whose estates were quite near. The thinking was that the plague needed to be contained so that it didn't spread to the estate and the nearby trading centre of Chesterfield. If anyone did attempt to leave Eyam they were ostracised by the surrounding populations and were hounded in the highways.

The saviour of these people was the new parson Mompesson who organised the care and the supplies from outside of the village. He had previously had experience of the plague in Lincolnshire where he came from.

Happy Days! PopT

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm researching the Furniss family tree. I'm stuck with a Thomas Furniss born on Feb 8, 1784 and there isn't a date of death. I can't find the parents names other than a C. Furniss (Father)and a M.(Mother) with no birth or death dates.

Archived