Child abuse in Madrassas.

A recent BBC Radio programme on regulation in Madrassas.

Madrassas don't need to be registered and are not regulated. No CRB checks are required for staff either. How can this be?

180 Local Authorities across England and Wales had recorded 400 complaints of physical abuse during the last three years in madrassas. Only a few led to any prosecution, ten went to court and two led to convictions.

There were thirty reports of sexual abuse investigated by Safeguarding Children teams since 2009 which led to three prosecutions and only one conviction.

Why dont they need CRB checks?

I thought everyone who worked with kids needed them?

So did I. The Government is aware of the situation but I'm not holding my breath. They can push through legislation to ban recreational drugs in weeks after scaremongering but I wonder what will happen here. It's an excellent but scary programme.

A recent BBC Radio programme on regulation in Madrassas.

Madrassas don't need to be registered and are not regulated. No CRB checks are required for staff either. How can this be?

180 Local Authorities across England and Wales had recorded 400 complaints of physical abuse during the last three years in madrassas. Only a few led to any prosecution, ten went to court and two led to convictions.

There were thirty reports of sexual abuse investigated by Safeguarding Children teams since 2009 which led to three prosecutions and only one conviction.

What date was this program on and which channel?

Archived