Has Britiain always been in debt ?

Since we appear to be adept to printing money lately, why doesn't the government just print money to pay off all our debts abroad?

Because it would most likely lead to hyperinflation. Even if they were allowed to even try it.

They were probably not always in debt.The banks had to be invented first(probably by the Templar knights).However Britain is still paying off debts that predate the Napoleonic wars(its cheaper than buying the bonds back) so they have been in debt quite a while.They paid off World War 2 debts in 2006-7 i think.

In debt to the tune of 979 billion, and the LIEbour party want to borrow more. Don't know if we have always been in debt, but if LIEbour ever get their way, we certainly will be.

Regards

Angel.

Yes we have always been in debt which means....

We have always been working for the banks ,

The whole economy is built on debt

You know, I tend to disagree with everything you ever post Mecky. Not quite as much as titanic and wednesday, but not far off.

But as sweeping statements go, I would agree with this. I'm not sure (or doubt) for the same reasons as you though ;)

-

On the topic though, and my understanding, which I'll happy read disagreements to: my understanding of debt, or the start of it in this country and worldwide... comes from originally placing 'gold' in deposits (or banks), then people borrowing against the 'gold' with an interest rate. Fast-forward - Over a few hundred years the 'gold' becomes insignificant, and the ability for people to pay back money (or guarantees of repayments) becomes more significant than the ability of the bank to pay out the original 'gold'. Since this can never be repaid (unless someone can invent a new 'gold') then the original deposit can never be met (paid back) - hence devaluation of printed money, because more money is in circulation to meet the needs of the loans, than is entrusted with 'gold'.

To combat a complete breakdown of monetary exchanges, and a complete devaluation of all the loans in place, then inflation takes place. This devaluation of all the money in circulation creates 'national debt'.

If everyone stopped borrowing money, and pays all their debts, then the whole economy would collapse, because there wouldn't be a way for more money to be created without printing it.

You know, I tend to disagree with everything you ever post Mecky. Not quite as much as titanic and wednesday, but not far off.

But as sweeping statements go, I would agree with this. I'm not sure (or doubt) for the same reasons as you though ;)

-

On the topic though, and my understanding, which I'll happy read disagreements to: my understanding of debt, or the start of it in this country and worldwide... comes from originally placing 'gold' in deposits (or banks), then people borrowing against the 'gold' with an interest rate. Fast-forward - Over a few hundred years the 'gold' becomes insignificant, and the ability for people to pay back money (or guarantees of repayments) becomes more significant than the ability of the bank to pay out the original 'gold'. Since this can never be repaid (unless someone can invent a new 'gold') then the original deposit can never be met (paid back) - hence devaluation of printed money, because more money is in circulation to meet the needs of the loans, than is entrusted with 'gold'.

To combat a complete breakdown of monetary exchanges, and a complete devaluation of all the loans in place, then inflation takes place. This devaluation of all the money in circulation creates 'national debt'.

If everyone stopped borrowing money, and pays all their debts, then the whole economy would collapse, because there wouldn't be a way for more money to be created without printing it.

Look up 'fiat money'. It's all built on confidence, nothing else. In that sense you are right it is detached from anything physical backing it up, it can't be converted into anything tangible.

At the end of the day the reason for national debt should be clear and simple. The government has spent more than it takes in tax receipts. For decades.

Archived