"Future of the Welfare State" with John Humphrys

If they are receiving government help and by that you mean benefit, they are unlikely to the working and are therefore not workers. The last little bit after my bold makes you look like a right bigot doesn't it?

No it doesn't? I'm a bigot because I think people should work for a living rather than expect others to pay for it?

As Ricgem would say :loopy::hihi:

No it doesn't? I'm a bigot because I think people should work for a living rather than expect others to pay for it?

As Ricgem would say :loopy::hihi:

No, you're not a bigot, but I think we can guess what newspaper you read..

Raise the point at which you begin to pay tax to £13,000 per annum, that would make going to work pay.

NO need to in work tax credits, so saves money on admin costs.

At £13,000 per annum and at 35 hours a week, anyone earning less than £7.15 per hour would not pay any tax at all. That would mean many workers in Sheffield would work tax free.

No, you're not a bigot, but I think we can guess what newspaper you read..

The Guardian?

ST is right. If a person can work then they should be working or looking for work (which I know is an awful position to be in). No two ways about it. By not doing they are taking money away from people who genuinely need financial support. Which is pretty low in my book (which is NOT the Mail).

Raise the point at which you begin to pay tax to £13,000 per annum, that would make going to work pay.

NO need to in work tax credits, so saves money on admin costs.

At £13,000 per annum and at 35 hours a week, anyone earning less than £7.15 per hour would not pay any tax at all. That would mean many workers in Sheffield would work tax free.

That I think makes alot of sense. Far more than the whole "shall I work or shan't I ?" which really grinds my gears. What if every minimum wage care worker thought " sod it I'm not going in today. I'm not going back ever its the dole for me". Now start expanding that process into other jobs. The loss of tax would be large the added benefits bill larger still. I'm quite sure if push came to shove I'd knock work on the head tomorrow, most would but we have more self respect than that.

Please note the above rant is aimed at those who choose unemployment as a career not those struggling to find work ( in my experience those never get half the help or half the money)

That I think makes alot of sense. Far more than the whole "shall I work or shan't I ?" which really grinds my gears. What if every minimum wage care worker thought " sod it I'm not going in today. I'm not going back ever its the dole for me". Now start expanding that process into other jobs. The loss of tax would be large the added benefits bill larger still. I'm quite sure if push came to shove I'd knock work on the head tomorrow, most would but we have more self respect than that.

Please note the above rant is aimed at those who choose unemployment as a career not those struggling to find work ( in my experience those never get half the help or half the money)

Makes sense, stop hammering the workers with tax, until they get to a point where they can afford tax

He is, but there's a genuine reason why. Not sure why he gets all defensive whenever this topic comes up.

It's because I get fed up of DM readers slagging me off for the fact I've been trying for the last 20 years to get anything other than volunteer work, but as soon as I say I am disabled the employers shut the door on me.

Despite the FACTUAL FACT that it is meant to be ILLEGAL to discriminate! :rant:

Archived