"Future of the Welfare State" with John Humphrys

That doesn't put anything into context. Should workers pay for people who don't want to work to sit on their arse all day? No.

How can you argue against that? I don't get it.

When your forced to pay tax to pay out housing benefit unto a landlord at a rate of thrice the min wage for a full time worker. One can not blame the unemployed workers/ workers whom earn less than the levels of housing subsidy for rent seekers. One must blame the system, and the landlords knowingly exploiting it for financial gain at the expense of everyone else.

The guy claiming that housing benefit, that prices you out of housing, and diverts money away from valuable services - he was working.

That doesn't put anything into context. Should workers pay for people who don't want to work to sit on their arse all day? No.

How can you argue against that? I don't get it.

I'm not arguing for voluntary idleness. But nor am I in favour of conveniently forgetting that billions more pounds are lost through deliberate tax evasion, which means that those who do pay tax have to pay more, and those at the bottom of society are targetted, leaving the rich to carry on evading. How can you argue for that?

And what about those who soldier on year in year out, working 24/7 caring for sick relatives with next to no help from the state. Just like the millions who don't claim what they're entitled to because they feel stigmatised by the gutter snipes in the tabloid press.

I suspect it's a lot easier to vent your frustration at the poor than to empathise with those providing welfare out of duty, or dare to challenge those with more money and power than you.

I'm not arguing for voluntary idleness. But nor am I in favour of conveniently forgetting that billions more pounds are lost through deliberate tax evasion, which means that those who do pay tax have to pay more, and those at the bottom of society are targetted, leaving the rich to carry on evading. How can you argue for that?

And what about those who soldier on year in year out, working 24/7 caring for sick relatives with next to no help from the state. Just like the millions who don't claim what they're entitled to because they feel stigmatised by the gutter snipes in the tabloid press.

I suspect it's a lot easier to vent your frustration at the poor than to empathise with those providing welfare out of duty, or dare to challenge those with more money and power than you.

Evasion or avoidance?

When your forced to pay tax to pay out housing benefit unto a landlord at a rate of thrice the min wage for a full time worker. One can not blame the unemployed workers/ workers whom earn less than the levels of housing subsidy for rent seekers. One must blame the system, and the landlords knowingly exploiting it for financial gain at the expense of everyone else.

The guy claiming that housing benefit, that prices you out of housing, and diverts money away from valuable services - he was working.

Nope, the lazy and workshy exploit it more than the landlords you despise so much. Private landlords hate having DSS tenants.

Evasion or avoidance?

Evasion is illegal, avoidance legal.

Interesting that you're very quick to highlight the differences for those who can afford to either evade or avoid tax; but in your rush to condemn those who sit on their arses all day you don't mention those who provide welfare free of charge, or don't claim what their entitled to - who save the taxpayer more money than the workshy cost the taxpayer.

Nope, the lazy and workshy exploit it more than the landlords you despise so much. Private landlords hate having DSS tenants.

If a man exploits the housing benefit (landlord) subsidy for himself, he deprives himself of work and the chance to better himself and others, whilst creating a profit for his landlord, society loses out as the man sits idle, and taxpayers money enriches the landlord.

If his rent was effectively 0, he would have no opportunity to exploit the system, he would seek to better himself by providing labour which benefits others, he'd supply his labour in a way which would reward him, and others.

If a man exploits the housing benefit (landlord) subsidy for himself, he deprives himself of work and the chance to better himself and others, whilst creating a profit for his landlord, society loses out as the man sits idle, and taxpayers money enriches the landlord.

If his rent was effectively 0, he would have no opportunity to exploit the system, he would seek to better himself by providing labour which benefits others, he'd supply his labour in a way which would reward him, and others.

:confused:

Free housing for all?

Evasion is illegal, avoidance legal.

Interesting that you're very quick to highlight the differences for those who can afford to either evade or avoid tax; but in your rush to condemn those who sit on their arses all day you don't mention those who provide welfare free of charge, or don't claim what their entitled to - who save the taxpayer more money than the workshy cost the taxpayer.

Why is everyone on here so quick to jump in support of benefit scroungers? I have not said I support anyone evading tax.

What I am in support of is reducing the tax bill paid by ALL, and to do that we need to reduce public spending.

Archived