"Future of the Welfare State" with John Humphrys

Peter Oborne summed up Labours approach and legacy on this issue perfectly:

"Gordon Brown developed a social security system that entrenched dependency and trapped the unemployed in poverty. Certainly he gave them more money – the benefits to which a single mother is entitled rose by 85 per cent under New Labour. But he made one crucial mistake as he set out to create a Labour client state. He did not give people hope or self-respect. Indeed, as Iain Duncan Smith, the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, is starting to discover, Brown made it economically irrational for many people to seek work, thus turning unemployment into a way of life. I would guess that many of the young men and women drawn into last week’s frenzy come from families where there have been no jobs for generations"

I was going to watch it, but the preamble I'd seen made me suspicious that it was going to be yet another one sided broadcast that said "we can't afford the welfare state, it was built for a different era, the people who use the system abuse the system and become hooked on benefits".

From the comments above, it looks like it didn't challenge any preconceptions. Pity really - a wasted opportunity.

Peter Oborne summed up Labours approach and legacy on this issue perfectly:

"Gordon Brown developed a social security system that entrenched dependency and trapped the unemployed in poverty. Certainly he gave them more money – the benefits to which a single mother is entitled rose by 85 per cent under New Labour. But he made one crucial mistake as he set out to create a Labour client state. He did not give people hope or self-respect. Indeed, as Iain Duncan Smith, the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, is starting to discover, Brown made it economically irrational for many people to seek work, thus turning unemployment into a way of life. I would guess that many of the young men and women drawn into last week’s frenzy come from families where there have been no jobs for generations"

and the condems are creating these jobs from where :huh:.

and the condems are creating these jobs from where :huh:.
Well, at least they have the good sense not to create them in the tax income-draining public sector, like Labour did ;)

After all, if they did, no doubt the left would then accuse them of buying themselves an electorate...you know, like Labour did :D

Well, at least they have the good sense not to create them in the tax income-draining public sector, like Labour did ;)

After all, if they did, no doubt the left would then accuse them of buying themselves an electorate...you know, like Labour did :D

I could agree with you about the public sector being tax-income draining if the economy required money to function. But it doesn't. It's all paper monopoly currency. It's a load of tosh.

We need to have a freemarket in money & currency first of all.

"we can't afford the welfare state, it was built for a different era, the people who use the system abuse the system and become hooked on benefits".

But we can't afford this amount of money being spent on the welfare state given the current economic state.

Interestingly the MORI polls shown within the programme seem to back up the general public's view of this.

Errrr..... I think you missed the point. The point is that under Gordon Brown, people are better off not working. NOTHING to do with the coalition!!

That's utter rubbish, I've been out of work and I can tell you for a fact your better off in employment. This is just another deflection tactic by the rich and powerful to blame the poor and weak.

But we can't afford this amount of money being spent on the welfare state given the current economic state.

Interestingly the MORI polls shown within the programme seem to back up the general public's view of this.

Let's hope the poor start voting.

Archived