Followed by an unmarked police car

The other day I was followed by a car for at least a mile, maybe a mile and a half, as I was walking from Glossop Road to Crookes.

This car, a black Ford, continually drove past me slowly, would do a u-turn up the road, and come back to 'observe' me.

So when I got home, rather concerned, I phoned this in to the police. After I gave them the registration number there was some delay before I was informed it was actually an unmarked police car!

I was told by the duty sergeant that they are perfectly within their rights to do this.

Are the police not in fact failing in their job description by actively intimidating people as they walk around dark streets in the evening? For all I knew it could have been anyone, and they failed to identify themselves as police.

IMO this does nothing for public trust in police or the public's perception of their personal safety.

The other day I was followed by a car for at least a mile, maybe a mile and a half, as I was walking from Glossop Road to Crookes.

This car, a black Ford, continually drove past me slowly, would do a u-turn up the road, and come back to 'observe' me.

So when I got home, rather concerned, I phoned this in to the police. After I gave them the registration number there was some delay before I was informed it was actually an unmarked police car!

I was told by the duty sergeant that they are perfectly within their rights to do this.

Are the police not in fact failing in their job description by actively intimidating people as they walk around dark streets in the evening? For all I knew it could have been anyone, and they failed to identify themselves as police.

IMO this does nothing for public trust in police or the public's perception of their personal safety.

To be fair, you were naked and carrying a gun.

The police are failing to do their job by advising you unlawfully it was an unmarked police car.

It's none of your business who the driver is or who the car belongs too,so they are mistaken in advising you as such.

They can tell you actually.

Lots of possibilities/reasons.

If you were alone, and there had been reports of a mugging in the area then you should be grateful.

If a crime had been commited by someone answering your description then they are doing their job.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

If you were alone, and there had been reports of a mugging in the area then you should be grateful.

If a crime had been commited by someone answering your description then they are doing their job.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Or they just liked the way his/her butt cheeks bounced :hihi:

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

I think it's generally considered best practice to talk to the 'suspect' rather than trailing them for 15 minutes in an unmarked black car.

I should be grateful for being followed by a dark car in the middle of the night?

Archived