"French" told: All aboard the jobs train to Britain.

What is happening here is the Euro-federalists are actively encouraging movement of people around the Eu; they want French people commuting to work in England, and Germans into Italy etc, to be as natural and easy as people commuting to Leeds from Sheffield, in the hope that over time the psycological borders, as well as the actual borders between EU countries will disappear, and the European Union will finally start to look, feel and smell like a single entity.

This was all codified in the Single European Act of 1986, signed by that arch Eurosceptic Margaret Thatcher. People commute from Copenhagen to Malmo, Bayonne to San Sebastian, Dublin to Belfast, Strasburg to Stuttgart, Trieste to Llubljana, Bratislava to Vienna in the same way someone might commute from Cardiff to Bristol or Newcastle to Edinburgh. Schengen also means that within some countries borders have already disappeared. Do try to keep up.

What's your next post, Fine line? The Berlin Wall may fall?

Eh? It's been happening for decades, since well before the EU did away with borders!

I've been doing exactly that since 1989. Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, the UK, Ireland. Lived and worked in all of these, in many different fields (construction, IT, legal services).

And I have a ton of friends and acquaintances of many different nationalities (mostly western EU, few eastern EU) who have done, and keep doing, exactly the same.

It's commonly referred to as a the 'brain drain' on the Continent, and has been for donkeys' years. You get a world class education, but no job prospects = jet off to Blighty first chance you get, to bootstrap a career, then stay or move on.

And that's saying nothing of the multinationals who regularly move staff about between implantation sites in various EU member states.

And nothing either about 'border commuters' (e.g. Northern France <-> Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg; Eastern France <-> Germany, Switzerland; Northern Italy <-> Austria; etc, etc. the list is as long as there are miles of 'borders' in the EU) that has been going on for decades longer (when there were still fully-enforced and -manned borders).

All I'm seeing is mindless xenophobism. Unsurprising, really, since there is a very close correlation between intellectual aptitude and breadth of mind.

It's a figure of speech, TC.

But it is quite funny/ironical that, in all of my post, that's the only thing you seem bothered about (when it didn't concern you in the least).

Nothing you've said here contradicts what I said in the post you're responding to.

This was all codified in the Single European Act of 1986, signed by that arch Eurosceptic Margaret Thatcher. People commute from Copenhagen to Malmo, Bayonne to San Sebastian, Dublin to Belfast, Strasburg to Stuttgart, Trieste to Llubljana, Bratislava to Vienna in the same way someone might commute from Cardiff to Bristol or Newcastle to Edinburgh. Schengen also means that within some countries borders have already disappeared. Do try to keep up.

Its not happening enough though is it? this why we're seeing initiatives to encourage and stimulate it. Do try to keep up.

Nothing you've said here contradicts what I said in the post you're responding to.
No?

I am aware of all that, but its just not happening is it? not enough anyway, so movement of people (other than the highly skilled, who could travel anyway, and the-one-way-street of east european's into western Europe) around the EU is now being strongly encouraged and stimulated.
Cross-border commuters are not just the highly skilled type. Far from it.

You have secretaries, chefs, electricians, building site workers, binmens, etc, etc. that have been crossing borders to go to work then back home every day for decades. Positively, at the EU scale, millions of workers working and getting paid in one country, and living in the next.

When I had a small business in Luxembourg, I employed 2 French secretaries, instead of locals. Simplest, basest reason: they were 2/3rds the price of their Luxembourg equivalent, and just as good. Same calculation by every other business around, along the border (unsurprisingly). That was in 1991, and nothing's changed since.

So, what is 'enough', Fine line,? What is 'just not happening'?

Put the above in the context of the linked article, by which time you'll realise that proposed French-developed office park in Kent and mooted "Chunnel commuters" is really small potatoes :rolleyes:

No?

Cross-border commuters are not just the highly skilled type. Far from it.

You have secretaries, chefs, electricians, building site workers, binmens, etc, etc. that have been crossing borders to go to work then back home every day for decades. Positively, at the EU scale, millions of workers working and getting paid in one country, and living in the next.

When I had a small business in Luxembourg, I employed 2 French secretaries - they were 2/3rds the price of their Luxembourg equivalent. Same calculation by every other business around. That was in 1991, and nothing's changed since.

So, what is 'enough', Fine line, what is 'just not happening'?

Put the above in the context of the linked article, by which time you'll realise that proposed French-developed office park in Kent and mooted "Chunnel commuters" is really small potatoes :rolleyes:

I was thinking more in terms of this country.

Are you sure that workers such as chefs and binmen commute every day across borders within the EU in their millions?

Oh come on even i can see that the sentence refers to a whole list of unskilled and semi skilled workers not just chefs and binmen

You could recognise them too, as there are very,very few black people in poland.My polish friend told me that she has not seen a black person in poland for 20 yrs.Until coming here never even met a asian person.

You misread the question - I was asking how you can tell a black Frenchman from a black Brit just by looking.

Archived