Help For Heroes..

Im not anti charity and I think Help For Heroes is a good cause but of all the charities out there I think this one is the most ridiculous! It just shouldn't exist!

How can a government send its army to war and not provide adequate support, both financial and psychological, when the soldiers get wounded or killed?!

Support should be available for the families and the individuals concerned. If an individual is prepared to give their life for a cause, the government should be prepared to pay up when things go wrong, particularly when we keep hearing stories about soldiers not having enough supplies when at war, and constant spending cuts within the armed forces.

Out of all the charities, I find it really difficult to donate to Help For Heroes, despite the good it provides, purely because it is taking the pressure of the government!

my 20yr old nephew is being posted to afganistan in march and i am so worried about him, but like the OP has said , we shouldnt be paying for stuff for them, the goverment should, its their HUMAN RIGHTS to be kept safe and looked after properly whilst fighting wars that we shouldnt even be involved with, the goverment are too bothered about the human rights of people they dont even know the real name and country of origin of who come to this country and bleed us dry, use that money for safety gear, food and weapons etc for the wonderful guys and gals who deserve it, :rant:

I agree with the op to a certain extent.The government should ensure the best equipment is available,and those injured should recieve the best on-going care.Families of those killed should be compensated adequately.But this kind of thing aint nothing new.Lord Nelsons brave sailors were left to rot after beating the Spanish Armada.They were left to die of disease on their ships,so the government didn't have to pay them out.

However,i shall still be buying a poppy,and help the heros is one of the few charities i dig deep for.

my 20yr old nephew is being posted to afganistan in march and i am so worried about him, but like the OP has said , we shouldnt be paying for stuff for them, the goverment should, its their HUMAN RIGHTS to be kept safe and looked after properly whilst fighting wars that we shouldnt even be involved with, the goverment are too bothered about the human rights of people they dont even know the real name and country of origin of who come to this country and bleed us dry, use that money for safety gear, food and weapons etc for the wonderful guys and gals who deserve it, :rant:

Looked after as well as possible, yes - but kept safe? Get real! Fighting wars is inherently dangerous.

Looked after as well as possible, yes - but kept safe? Get real! Fighting wars is inherently dangerous.

I think the poster meant such as not having protective jackets which are on the list of kit.

At an inquest on a soldier who had been killed, the post mortem suggested he would probably have survived had he been wearing a protective jacket that should have been available but wasn't.

HMS Sheffield could possibly have been saved had the proper compliment of fire fighting equipment been on board to tackle the fire instantly.

So come on let's not try to gain the high ground.

I wish your nephew well and good luck. He represents the best of this nations young. As so many of the military have for so many generations.

Archived