Borrowing costs soar at debt sale over doubts of Italy’s debt plan.

The yield on Italy’s March 2022 bond rose to 6.06 per cent from 5.86 per cent a month ago. This despite the agreement within the Eurozone to provide a fund to guarantee borrowing.

This compares to UK borrowing costs which remain at around 3.5% due to the UK retaining its AAA star credit rating.

I suppose it demonstrates where our own repayments would be heading had we not tackled the spiral of spending & debt.

We're on a tightrope. If Osborne has overcooked austerity then the end effect will be the same as not tackling the deficit.

We're on a tightrope. If Osborne has overcooked austerity then the end effect will be the same as not tackling the deficit.

That a big if and a bigger unknown.

However, we'll still be better off since there will be no wholesale debt write off, and the lower the debt the more powerful the UK will be.

I've been thinking lately that the UK significantly might move up the pecking order of world power over the next 20 years. China needs a stable, powerful and flexible western partner and I have this sneaky feeling that the UK fits nicely into that role.

I've been thinking lately that the UK significantly might move up the pecking order of world power over the next 20 years. China needs a stable, powerful and flexible western partner and I have this sneaky feeling that the UK fits nicely into that role.

This has made me giggle soo much.

China partnering up with the UK. And what may China get in return? Do you remember how Chris Patten embraced the Chinese over Hong Kong? :P

I want whatever your on...

China partnering up with the UK. And what may China get in return? Do you remember how Chris Patten embraced the Chinese over Hong Kong? :P

Giggle? It's not my fault if you don't understand, but you could at least make the effort to read the point that you replied to.

China isn't a great innovator. It needs worldwide credibility. It needs to devote energy to developing its domestic markets, but not at the expense of its exports. China needs key partners just as much as any other nation and the UK is uniquely placed to be one.

China has wanted financial unstability in the West for donkey's years, but not too much because it also wants to expand it's markets here.

Archived