Halloween: I just don't get it

We never had Halloween as such until the US film came out and then an industry was created.

There used to be a "mischief night" when I was a kid living in Parson Cross.

It was pretty tame. Usually no more than knocking on someone's door and running away.

There were also the carolers on Christmas Eve. I say carolers in the loosest sense of the word. Those usually were bunch of kids who would open the mail slot in the door and yell out a verse of a carol then they'd holler out:

Christmas is a coming and the goose is getting fat,

time to put a penny in the old man's hat.

If you dont have a penny, a ha'penny will do.

If you dont have that then god bless you

Then the pounding on the door would start until someone gave em half a bob and told them to beggar off.

Give me Halloween instead of that anytime

It was pretty tame. Usually no more than knocking on someone's door and running away.and told them to beggar off.

oh you were a good lad,didnt you ever put treacle on anyones door knob.

It was pretty tame. Usually no more than knocking on someone's door and running away.and told them to beggar off.

Mischievious night is 4 November, I always get my windows egged and hate it!!

Forgot to add earlier, when I was much much much younger we were in Florida one Halloween and were taken t or t by our friends family, I remember being really excited, and all dressed up, having a whale of a time collecting goodies, then being mortified at having to take the lot to hospital to get it x rayed for foreign bodies.

It was pretty tame. Usually no more than knocking on someone's door and running away.

Every night was "mischief night" on Parsons Cross, my cousins lived on Lindsey Ave, when we stayed with them it was like the wild west.:hihi:

Treacle was what the kids over in Nether Edge and Sharrow put on door knobs. In Parson Cross we used something else :D
We used to put dog poo on a drawing pin on the old fashioned "sneck" where you pressed down with your thumb.:o

Archived