Halloween: I just don't get it

back in the old days, if a woman spoke her mind (not what the male was thinking) she was classed as a witch and burned at the stake, i may be wrong. isnt that why its celebrated? its not an american thing is it?

it may have its origins in paganism i'm not sure, but the event as it is now is american.and nothing much good comes from there.

why do we always have to copy the american way anyway.why can't we be more original.

I love Halloween, for it's true reasons, pagan new year, am holding a doggy Halloween party this year too

So all your dogs are getting dressed up then? Vampire Dogs eh?

Sorry, I know the Mods don't like it when I'm pedantic but I couldn't resist! :lol:

No I dont think. I'm not a member of the sackcloth and ashes brigade

Neither am I, but I can see through the pernicious use of supposed festivals to extract even more money out of people.

And the peer pressure that is generated amongst vulnerable people and their children.

Why not spend money on enjoyment all year round, instead of following the herd because 'it's what you have to do.'

:rolleyes:

it may have its origins in paganism i'm not sure, but the event as it is now is american.and nothing much good comes from there.

why do we always have to copy the american way anyway.why can't we be more original.

It all started at the Salem Witch Trials in Salem, Massachussets some time in the mid 16th Century iirc, it's all on the Wikipedia link I posted on the first page.

i am lass! agree with you tho, most people just follow suit like sheep. let em get on with it, it keeps em happy:)

Neither am I, but I can see through the pernicious use of supposed festivals to extract even more money out of people.

And the peer pressure that is generated amongst vulnerable people and their children.

Why not spend money on enjoyment all year round, instead of following the herd because 'it's what you have to do.'

couldn't agree more.

I don't think young children have much of a concept of 'following the herd'. If they're excited about a time when you get to dress up and have fun, much like Christmas, then it seems rather harsh to deprive them of the chance to carve a pumpkin and chuck around the fake blood just because, as an adult, you object to commercialization.

Besides, you could always make your own traditions to supplement or replace the ones you're not keen on: tell spooky tales, bake some bat-shaped gingerbread biscuits, do some face painting... it's an opportunity for children to be creative with a theme, and that's always a good thing.

So all your dogs are getting dressed up then? Vampire Dogs eh?

Sorry, I know the Mods don't like it when I'm pedantic but I couldn't resist! :lol:

All 11 of ours have outfits, the rooms are decorated, the food is bought, the games are devised, over 30 dogs coming, most will be dressed up, as well as the people, say what you like, it won't bother me, we intend to have fun on Monday. And i will then be giving my own thanks later

Archived