Halloween: I just don't get it

it may have its origins in paganism i'm not sure, but the event as it is now is american.and nothing much good comes from there.

why do we always have to copy the american way anyway.why can't we be more original.

We had our own years back on Guy Fawkes night...begging , penny for the Guy , sometimes we used a scuffy neighbourhood kid and shoved him in a pram....got more money that way :hihi:

What difference does it make to you? If people want to dress their kids up and give em treats it's not your money or your treats and it's none of your business anyway. Just shut the door, turn on the telly and ignore em.

It is a bit disturbing so observe how easily people are manipulated by the media and consumerism.It is pathetic to see people buy plastic pumkins and PVC cloaks which will be binned within days.I think your libertarian attitude has limited scope.If you prefer to ignore such things and not get involved it suggests you cannot form an opinion about the matter,and are not capable of evaluating what people do.Remember the indulgent behaviour of parents does little to benefit the kids-its always easier to give into kids and then wonder why they ignore you when they are older.

for the kids ok yes.

but all this dressing up in the silly costumes and wearing those ridiculous masks.

theres a display of it on strictly come dancing tonight --and later on x-factor.

no don't get it.

Neither am I, but I can see through the pernicious use of supposed festivals to extract even more money out of people.

And the peer pressure that is generated amongst vulnerable people and their children.

Why not spend money on enjoyment all year round, instead of following the herd because 'it's what you have to do.'

:rolleyes:

Sheffield forum is the right place for you two, keeps you away from the general public...

...who are enjoying the festivities!

:)

It is a bit disturbing so observe how easily people are manipulated by the media and consumerism.It is pathetic to see people buy plastic pumkins and PVC cloaks which will be binned within days.I think your libertarian attitude has limited scope.If you prefer to ignore such things and not get involved it suggests you cannot form an opinion about the matter,and are not capable of evaluating what people do.Remember the indulgent behaviour of parents does little to benefit the kids-its always easier to give into kids and then wonder why they ignore you when they are older.

My children dont ignore me, they always listen carefully to what I tell them.

Then disregard it completely.

That is why they are both competent successful adults, and I am still a blithering idiot. :D

Sheffield forum is the right place for you two, keeps you away from the general public...

I think you are mistaken if you think the participants are the general public-they may be less typical than you think.I am glad however that you have embraced the lead given by your Uncle Sam;KFC for supper tonight?

suits me fine being a drop out.

i've found my niche on here.

enjoy the festivities:rolleyes:

My opinion is that the world would be a far better place if people just tried to mind their own business and not go around telling other people what they should and should not spend their money on.

I like Halloween myself. There's no harm in making kids happy a few times a year while they're still young. God only knows the world they will live in as adults may well be FUBAR. but I wont be around to see it

I think you are mistaken if you think the participants are the general public-they may be less typical than you think.I am glad however that you have embraced the lead given by your Uncle Sam;KFC for supper tonight?

What the h3ll do you think my kids enjoying this has to do with the US?

There are some increasingly idiotic opinions being voiced on this forum!

for the kids ok yes.

but all this dressing up in the silly costumes and wearing those ridiculous masks.

theres a display of it on strictly come dancing tonight --and later on x-factor.

no don't get it.

dressing-up in costumes and masks and having a laugh or watching strictly come dancing and x-factor on TV, which is sad, you decide ?

Archived