Halloween: I just don't get it

My old Irish grandad once told us that it was customary in Ireland on the eve of all saints day to place chairs around the hearth and light a fire before going to bed.

Apparently it was believed that the dead of the family would come back for a get together that night.

My old Irish grandad once told us that it was customary in Ireland on the eve of all saints day to place chairs around the hearth and light a fire before going to bed.

Apparently it was believed that the dead of the family would come back for a get together that night.

did you inherit any peculiarities from your irish grandad.:)

Thats sound like a custom worth preserving and beats poncing round with plastic squashes and PVC capes.

You have to be a kid to see the fun in Halloween. It's as simple as that

Oh I don't know, I had pretty good time last night, but it might be partly down to the "blood punch", which i suspect had very little blood in it and a lot of vodka.

You have to be a kid to see the fun in Halloween. It's as simple as that

How old are you then or do you just like to watch the kids having fun?My own lads have never shown any interest in H'ween-its seems to be a girl thing round our end,not to mention a few wannabe male goths who think theyre in Depeche Mode.

Dunno! Depends on what you mean by peculiarities. I'm an Englishman when sober and an Irishman when drunk. A happy combination I think :thumbsup:

reason i asked was because your post reminded me of my dear late irish grandad.---what a character (full of the irish blarney).--a great story teller.--but i do think he might have believed those silly ghost stories he used to tell.

hense the peculiarity.

loved him to bits though.

How old are you then or do you just like to watch the kids having fun?My own lads have never shown any interest in H'ween-its seems to be a girl thing round our end,not to mention a few wannabe male goths who think theyre in Depeche Mode.

I'm as old as my teeth but a little older that a couple of crowns and an implant. My kids are grown up and have kids of their own. We dont see them on Halloweens as they all go to Knots Berry Farm which is like Disneyland but put on a really "spooktacular" show for kids and is famous in this part of California

Most of the kids who come to the door are no older than 7 or 8 usually.

Once or twice in the past there have been a couple of teenage high school girls dressed up as Bunny Girls or Cheerleaders.

Dont expect many kids this year. It will al be over by 9:00 PM latest as Tuesday is a school day

reason i asked was because your post reminded me of my dear late irish grandad.---what a character (full of the irish blarney).--a great story teller.--but i do think he might have believed those silly ghost stories he used to tell.

hense the peculiarity.

loved him to bits though.

My grandad never carried on the custom of the chairs around the fireplace stuff. He was a down to earth dry old stick as a rule, a teetotaler and had no time for ghost stories.

Not your common garden Paddy by any means.

I did go to an Irish wake once. There was a lot of food, a lot of music and a lot of dancing. It was a celebration of a life that had been lived and come to an end. Not a bad custom at all

Archived