Employers not sending job rejection letters, it`s completely unacceptable.

I saw some interviews on the TV the other day with a load of unemployed people who`d all said they send out loads of job applications and never get a reply. Is that really true ? Well if it is I`m an employer and I think that`s absolutely shocking.

I`m a hardcore idealist (which leads me to cross swords with a few on here....) but in my view something is either reasonable and fair or it isn`t.

So when we advertise for jobs, which isn`t that often, every applicant always gets a reply. If we have their E mail address they get an E mailed reply and if we don`t they get a reply by letter post. If anyone doesn`t get one it`s because the address was wrong !

Anyone out there who says it`s easy for me to reply to unsuccessful job applicants because I only run a small business doesn`t know what they`re talking about. I have to do everything in this regard, I don`t have a secretary or HR department to pass it on to, and I`m nearly always really busy doing other things.

The plain fact is that not to reply to anyone, job applicant or not, is beedin` ignorant, and there`s no excuse.

Incidentally, all those annoyed at not getting a rejection latter from prospective employers.

Don`t get mad, get even.

Keep a record of which companies treated you with respect, and those who treated you with ignorance. Then, in the future when you want to spend your money, remember.......

I agree. A standard rejection letter, second class stamp and envelope cost very little or even an email. which is free...Most employers have some meaningless equal opps policy where they claim to treat everyone with respect, they don't practice what they preach...

I run a business myself and I'm afraid that I have not replied to unsuccesful applicants, I accept that it's not a desirable situation but I felt we had no choice.

When recruiting recently we had several hundred applications, each was read briefly and sorted, this itself took two days. Sending acknowledgement and rejection letters would have taken at least a further day, incurring oportunity losses and several hundred pounds in direct costs (postage, printing, wages etc.)

Mine is a small business (6 people) and it's precisely because of this that we were unable respond to everyone. Whilst I have every sympathy and respect for people having to compete for jobs in this environment, my first responsibility is to myself and those I employ, if I don't control costs wherever possible we could all be out of a job.

Sadly this is nothing new.....I remember having a letter printed in the "Star" some 30 years ago saying much the same thing. It's very disheartening when you are looking for a job and have presented yourself as best you can at an interview to get no feed back. At least if you're told no, then you can throw yourself into the next opportunity with renewed enthusuism.

I agree. A standard rejection letter, second class stamp and envelope cost very little or even an email. which is free...Most employers have some meaningless equal opps policy where they claim to treat everyone with respect, they don't practice what they preach...

600 standard rejection letters. 600 stamps, the time to address the envelopes ...how much does that cost?

Why should the employer pay?

Every job I've had (apart from two, when they wrote to me) I got by writing to the named person (it takes time, but you can find the name of the hirer) and asking for a job.

20 years ago (and it wasn't a good time to be looking then either) I was out of work. I was well (perhaps 'over' qualified and I wrote some hundreds of letters.

Got bugger-all replies. Soul-destroying! - I wondered what was wrong with me, Highly qualified, loads of experience and I couldn't even get a job at a grade which had worked for me!

I changed tack. Forget who's offering the jobs, find a company you'd like to work for (One you might be of some use to) and write a personal letter to the guy who heads up the department you want to work in.

I always got a reply. Most of the replies said *'no vacancy' but some said 'We'll get back to you.'

One actually did and I got a well-paid job!

It beats the crap out of firing off hundreds of CV's (Each with a well.tailored covering letter) and getting nowhere,

FIND THE HIRER; GET HIS NAME; WRITE TO HIM (ADDRESSED BY NAME)

I run a business myself and I'm afraid that I have not replied to unsuccesful applicants, I accept that it's not a desirable situation but I felt we had no choice.

When recruiting recently we had several hundred applications, each was read briefly and sorted, this itself took two days. Sending acknowledgement and rejection letters would have taken at least a further day, incurring oportunity losses and several hundred pounds in direct costs (postage, printing, wages etc.)

Mine is a small business (6 people) and it's precisely because of this that we were unable respond to everyone. Whilst I have every sympathy and respect for people having to compete for jobs in this environment, my first responsibility is to myself and those I employ, if I don't control costs wherever possible we could all be out of a job.

All you need to do is have a standard rejection letter set up on your systems, they don't even need to be personalised, just send to dear applicant! The only personalised part would need to be the address. It's not difficult, I've done it myself. I don't think you have any excuse!

It wouldnt hurt, or cost employers to send an email though would it? It is very disheartening, my OH is out of work and has applied for loads of work through sending his CV by email, so why cant they return the favour, i think its wrong.

I saw some interviews on the TV the other day with a load of unemployed people who`d all said they send out loads of job applications and never get a reply. Is that really true ? Well if it is I`m an employer and I think that`s absolutely shocking.

I`m a hardcore idealist (which leads me to cross swords with a few on here....) but in my view something is either reasonable and fair or it isn`t.

So when we advertise for jobs, which isn`t that often, every applicant always gets a reply. If we have their E mail address they get an E mailed reply and if we don`t they get a reply by letter post. If anyone doesn`t get one it`s because the address was wrong !

Anyone out there who says it`s easy for me to reply to unsuccessful job applicants because I only run a small business doesn`t know what they`re talking about. I have to do everything in this regard, I don`t have a secretary or HR department to pass it on to, and I`m nearly always really busy doing other things.

The plain fact is that not to reply to anyone, job applicant or not, is beedin` ignorant, and there`s no excuse.

to be perfectly honest 90% of applications and CV s i get are so poor that they usually go straight in the bin, some cant even be bothered to find out who to send it too, so why should i waste my valuable time sending a pointless no thanks letter!!!! many unemployed today seem to think writing a few non descript letters and random phone calls constitute "job seeking" it doesnt, do some research :loopy: and stop wasting employers time.

600 standard rejection letters. 600 stamps, the time to address the envelopes ...how much does that cost?

Why should the employer pay?

Every job I've had (apart from two, when they wrote to me) I got by writing to the named person (it takes time, but you can find the name of the hirer) and asking for a job.

20 years ago (and it wasn't a good time to be looking then either) I was out of work. I was well (perhaps 'over' qualified and I wrote some hundreds of letters.

Got bugger-all replies. Soul-destroying! - I wondered what was wrong with me, Highly qualified, loads of experience and I couldn't even get a job at a grade which had worked for me!

I changed tack. Forget who's offering the jobs, find a company you'd like to work for (One you might be of some use to) and write a personal letter to the guy who heads up the department you want to work in.

I always got a reply. Most of the replies said *'no vacancy' but some said 'We'll get back to you.'

One actually did and I got a well-paid job!

It beats the crap out of firing off hundreds of CV's (Each with a well.tailored covering letter) and getting nowhere,

FIND THE HIRER; GET HIS NAME; WRITE TO HIM (ADDRESSED BY NAME)

good post:thumbsup:

Archived