Employers not sending job rejection letters, it`s completely unacceptable.

Sadly this is nothing new.....I remember having a letter printed in the "Star" some 30 years ago saying much the same thing. It's very disheartening when you are looking for a job and have presented yourself as best you can at an interview to get no feed back. At least if you're told no, then you can throw yourself into the next opportunity with renewed enthusuism.

I think any firm which doesn`t even inform somebody whose attended an interview is displaying the height of ignorance. Absolutely shocking.

That's because for some unknown reason, age discrimination isn't covered by anti-discrimination legislation (which ain't worth the paper it's printed on anyway IMO).

Age discrimination became illegal in 2006. Remember this recent case:http://womenandhollywood.com/2011/01/12/miriam-oreilly-wins-age-discrimination-suit-against-the-bbc/

All you need to do is have a standard rejection letter set up on your systems, they don't even need to be personalised, just send to dear applicant! The only personalised part would need to be the address. It's not difficult, I've done it myself. I don't think you have any excuse!

That`s far better than nothing, though I felt I had to go a bit further myself.

Every E mail or letter was addressed to the correct name and signed by myself.

One chap, who`d bothered to fill out a questionnaire we sent out (we only started doing this at the end), got a personal phone call from me to explain the job had gone to someone else, and why.

to be perfectly honest 90% of applications and CV s i get are so poor that they usually go straight in the bin, some cant even be bothered to find out who to send it too, so why should i waste my valuable time sending a pointless no thanks letter!!!! many unemployed today seem to think writing a few non descript letters and random phone calls constitute "job seeking" it doesnt, do some research :loopy: and stop wasting employers time.

I agree that many prospective job applicants should do more research when they apply for jobs, often they`re wasting their time applying for jobs they`re just not suited for.

BUT.

It may have been how I was bought up but I never ignore any E mail* or letter, I just think it`s ignorant. I also think it`s bad business. I stopped buying The Times and staying at the Ibis because they ignored E Mails I sent them. Particularly in the case of the Ibis that could cost them £1000s over the next 30 years !

* Even the time wasters get a reply (even if it is just a "fob off"), and we really shouldn`t feel under any obligartion to answer them because we make it quite obvious we don`t want time wasters contacting us, we sell aerials we aren`t an information serice.........

I agree that many prospective job applicants should do more research when they apply for jobs, often they`re wasting their time applying for jobs they`re just not suited for.

BUT.

It may have been how I was bought up but I never ignore any E mail* or letter, I just think it`s ignorant. I also think it`s bad business. I stopped buying The Times and staying at the Ibis because they ignored E Mails I sent them. Particularly in the case of the Ibis that could cost them £1000s over the next 30 years !

* Even the time wasters get a reply (even if it is just a "fob off"), and we really shouldn`t feel under any obligartion to answer them because we make it quite obvious we don`t want time wasters contacting us, we sell aerials we aren`t an information serice.........

SERIOUSLY???? sorry if i had time to answer all ludicrous applications and phone calls and for that matter telesales calls in a time consuming manner, polite replies of rejection etc etc i would be seriously depriving my paying customers of the service they deserve and in any case if you do have time to reply with a NO you are not really busy enough then!! spend the spare time looking for clients instead of writing thanks but no thanks letters:loopy:

SERIOUSLY???? sorry if i had time to answer all ludicrous applications and phone calls and for that matter telesales calls in a time consuming manner, polite replies of rejection etc etc i would be seriously depriving my paying customers of the service they deserve and in any case if you do have time to reply with a NO you are not really busy enough then!! spend the spare time looking for clients instead of writing thanks but no thanks letters:loopy:

I should have added, excepting unsolicited sales calls.

So just because you've found out the persons name there'll suddenly be a job created. In this day and age not many employers work like that. Incidentally, I'm not aware of any job that attracts 600 applicants. And if there were 600 applicants it must have been a very successful company who could afford 600 stamps, I guess.

Many employers these days don't even consider spec applications because of equal opportunities. I don't think HR departments can keep CV's on file..

If a job is advertised and in the information the employer says that if you haven't heard by a certain date then you've been unsuccessful then that's fair enough.

Its a common decency to send a letter to an applicant. But its just typical of the double standards these days.

Agree with you, to an extent anyway. I personally don`t think it`s acceptable to divest oneself of the responsibility for courteous behaviour by simply adding "if you haven`t heard by XXXXXX, then forget it"

As an aside I think those applicants who never get a letter should remember it for the future when they might want to use that companies services, or not as the case may be

Why was that company getting 600 applicants anyway ?

When they got 50 or 100 why didn`t they withdraw the advertising ?

If they were leaving it in to maximise their chances of the best possible applicant then they are asking for 100s of people to apply, and should therefore do the decent thing, and send them all a reply.

Archived