Employers not sending job rejection letters, it`s completely unacceptable.

How much effort is it to even send out a "sorry, you didn't get it" email, that costs just about nothing. I blame agencies partly for this, they have only one goal, to make money, and they frankly treat you like crap unless they want you for something. It was much more civilised when you dealt directly with the company that had the job.

If you really wanted a particular job you wouldn't sit on your backside at home waiting for a letter, you'd follow up your application with a phone call a week after the closing date to whoever's dealing with the recruitment. If you don't show any initiative, why is it the company's fault?

How much effort is it to even send out a "sorry, you didn't get it" email, that costs just about nothing. I blame agencies partly for this, they have only one goal, to make money, and they frankly treat you like crap unless they want you for something. It was much more civilised when you dealt directly with the company that had the job.

To be accurate it does actually cost money to send out a job rejection E mail, it costs time, which is money. Alright if the employer is skilled in IT (and organised enough.....) and is prepared to send everyone the same E Mail it probably doesn`t take that long, but it`s still time, and not everyone is that skilled in the use of IT, I`m not for a start. As it happens I feel I should send the applicants an E Mail with their own name on it, so that`d take rather longer anyway. Furthermore the last job we advertised only about 60% of applicants had an E Mail address on their application, so some got a letter by RM.

All of the above isn`t to excuse any employer who doesn`t send job rejection letters (even speaking as an employer I think they should do so), but just to explain the factors at work.

At the end of the day if it`s a small business, and the employer himself hasn`t got time to do it personally, he sould pay someone else to do it, even if it`s paying one of his staff a bit of overtime.

It doesn't bother me not getting a 'thanks but no' letter/email for every application I make. I appreciate companies don't want to spend time (and so money) on things like that.

However, if I was shortlisted for an interview I would expect some sort of notice. Whether that be phone, email or letter doesn't matter.

Archived