Memories of Fulwood Cottage Homes

cottam

------------

hi flyer,---- can you remember a friar tuck sweet shop---

it was on a corner of townhead street, church st--

over looking pinford st near where lodge moor bus stop was.

The sweet shop was built in the wall.

It been gone many years now and blood bank is built on that

spot.

no sorry all a blank

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

My mum was a 12 year old girl in Fulwood Cottage Homes in 1918. I don't know when she was first taken there but she left and went to live with her sister at age 16.

Her sister had also been in FCH but ran away. They both hated it. I have a pic of my mother standing outside one of the stone buildings. She is wearing black stockings (which they made there I gather) and a gym slip.

She told me that she remembers being taken to visit her mother in the workhouse on Sundays and that the visiting room was large with wooden benches round the walls; babies in nappies crying and other children visiting in the same room at the same time. Would this workhouse have also been in Fulwood.

In her effects there are two little letters from little girls who wrote to her from FCH. They are really sweet letters in childish round script.

Any information on the life there between 1906 and 1918 would be much appreciated or could anyone please point me to a site which would tell me what it was like for the children of the early 20th century?

Edited by Jessie'sgirl
addition

I would also like to see these records.

My mum was a 12 year old girl in Fulwood Cottage Homes in 1918. I don't know when she was first taken there but she left and went to live with her sister at age 16.

Her sister had also been in FCH but ran away. They both hated it. I have a pic of my mother standing outside one of the stone buildings. She is wearing black stockings (which they made there I gather) and a gym slip.

She told me that she remembers being taken to visit her mother in the workhouse on Sundays and that the visiting room was large with wooden benches round the walls; babies in nappies crying and other children visiting in the same room at the same time. Would this workhouse have also been in Fulwood.

In her effects there are two little letters from little girls who wrote to her from FCH. They are really sweet letters in childish round script.

Any information on the life there between 1906 and 1918 would be much appreciated or could anyone please point me to a site which would tell me what it was like for the children of the early 20th century?

Hello,

I am trying to get to see the records relating to the FCH childrens home but don't know where to start as I keep coming up against brick walls. I remember seeing a post on the Forum about the records being available and not destroyed etc. I can't find the post now and wondered if anyone could advise me. I am trying to find out about my late father Ernest Hudson who was put into care in about 1930 for approx 6years. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

:help:

Hi Flyer

Is this number just 0114233 or is there an area code in front please? I am in Scotland btw.

just a little befor my time (1939) but give the phone # 0114233 a try ,but let us know if you get anywhere,it would seem some are helpfull in giving out info, just don,t call in the tea break could last most of the day

Hi jessie`sgirl,

------------------ just seen your post, try ringing sheffield libraries,

for help.--- surrey st--0114-2734763.

You can try the sheffield archives on shoreham st, s1.

Depending how far back your looking for, they charge about £ 10.

Lets know how you get on. GOOD LUCK

Edited by brian1941
WORD

I am really intrested to hear if it was possible to find any records. My father and his brothers lived there all their childhood. My dad is missing some years he says they are blank. I know he hated it and rather not talk of his childhood he remembers skipping school to fish as he got older.

Can anyone remember Thomas's there 1939 onwards.

hi dawn anne,

i was in fulwood 1951 with my sisters and wrote to community services at castle nmarket buildings, got a reply with dates and reason for admittance, also if records found in archives (cos related to me with proof ) could take a digital photo with permission

linda