Memories of Fulwood Cottage Homes

cottam

Hi My Name is Joan Hague

I'm looking for anybody who may know of the name Thickett? My Mother and her two sisters and a brother was in the home around 1930 when their Mother died!

their names and ages at the time was Gladys Mary Thickett Aged 10, Evelyn Thickett Aged 8, John Frederick Thickett Aged 6, And Nellie Thickett Aged 4

The Eldest Three Left When They Was 15y/o And The Youngest Nellie Died In There At The Age Of 8y/o

Dose Anyone Remember Them OR Have Any Information/Photos Of Them Please Send Me An E-Mail joan-hague@live.co.uk

Thank You

My Mum and her sister were in FCH after coming from near Eastbourne when their mother died. They were then Margaret and Jennifer Burnand. Strange thing is that Mum now lives less than a mile from there now.

Mum has very few memories of being there, although I will have to have a chat with her and see what she actually does remember.

There was a lad that came into #2 in 42ish i sort of think he was bombed out, any how he wet the bed every day for the rest of the time I was in (3 more yrs) and the Bull would paste him with the copper stick every single day,knowing her I'm sure he got pasted for the rest of his stay I'm wondering if she ever cured him of wetting the bed.

• 3 weeks later...
hi can any one remember alfred thomas known as alf he was in the home from 1940 untill about 1948 he was in house 2 he was my father i would like to know if anyone remembers him

yes I'm 99% sure I remember him,be about 1-2 yrs older than me so79-80 Adrian Basil Clarke I was in #2 from 40 till46

yes he would have been 79 now he died 17years ago at the age of 61 i got some info fron archives it only gave me date he went in and who put him in there he also had brothers and sisters in there aswell all together there was 6 of them

yes he would have been 79 now he died 17years ago at the age of 61 i got some info fron archives it only gave me date he went in and who put him in there he also had brothers and sisters in there aswell all together there was 6 of them

yes I thought i knew the name but had to get my memory joged putting him in #2 with the evil Ms Bull brought It back

my dad never spoke of his time there so i cant begin to imagine what kind of childhood he has but from the stories i have read on here it wasnt good

yes Ms Bull was a bit of nasty but by no means the worst there was a lot more evil in there,as said in a early post her worst was to beat a kid every day for wetting the bed and I mean every day for 4 yrs,making all kids sit on there hands because she didn't like to see hands twigle ,my mother brought me duck eggs (gold in war time)she sat there and scoffed them all,and looking back I think she was keeping any money we had brought in said it was for the BANK,I ran away a lot but I don't think Grand- dad ever went with me his face is becoming clearer now I just had to think