Memories of Fulwood Cottage Homes

cottam

i remember a gordon gower when i was in there about 1952 in cottage 1...i think he died a few years back...he would have been about 68 now

Oh my goodness, seriously? He was my uncle.

Can you tell me anything you remember please

Thanks

Oh my goodness, seriously? He was my uncle.

Can you tell me anything you remember please

Thanks

he was friends with my brother more than me because they were about the same age...he went through hell in there as we all did with a housemother called winnie edge in cottage 1......i only remember about six people in fch but he was one of them...he always seemed real tall to me but maybe thats cos i was so small and about 6 years younger...i saw it in the star when he died...i thought there can,t be another person with that name because it was so unusual

I went up there to fch a few weeks back with my video camera to do some filming around cottage 1. while i,m doing that this bloke whose one of the new owners came out and asked me why...when i told him i used to live there he said he was worried i might be a burglar and casing the joint...he said they had a massive burglar problem...i had to smile....people trying to break in there....seems a million miles away from we were trying to break out

• 6 months later...

Fulwood Cottage Homes (the orphanage?) was on Blackbrook Road, Lodge Moor and is now a private housing development called Moorside. I used to live near Fulwood Church and remember the children filing back to the Homes on a Sunday morning - I'm talking about the 1950's :)

I lived on rochester drive in the 60s early 70s,we as kids referred to this place as 'The naughty girls home' A couple of my school friends mothers were house matrons on there,if memory serves me correctly the two friends who lived on there shared their homes with two or three of the 'naughty girls!!' Would imagine in this PC society they would be 'Young disadvanteged females with behavioral problems!!' rather than a more apt description of 'young lasses that dont want to behave themselves!!' I do recall they had a meeting hall on there which I think doubled up as youth club,place of worship,function room. My brother was in a band in the late 60s and played there a couple of times.