Tricks Pulled On You By Workmates!!

old tup

Years ago when I worked on building sites had two tricks played on me.........

First one: Left my work boots in wooden cabin we use to get changed in - next morning came to put my boots on and someone had screwed them to the floor.

Second one: We use to leave our tool boxes in the cabin which was also of wooden design,

my tool box was a big heavy one with two lift out trays in it.......having finished work for the day, locked my tool box up and put it in the cabin, next morning came to lift it up and couldn't..........someone had managed to pick the padlock, take the trays out and all the tools, drill a couple of holes in the bottom and screw it to the cabin floor - then replace everything as it were previously.

Nearly gave myself an hernia trying to pick it up before I realised what they had done !

No one has mentioned any office tricks, like leaving a message for someone to ring A Lyon, and then giving the number for London Zoo.

Or blu-tacking the phone handle down, or when phones were black putting toner on the ear part and people ended up with black ears.

(Little things please little minds)

In the early 60's Iwas an apprenticed at ESC and occasionally worked on the River Don plate Mill steam engine which is now at Kelham Island. They sent me to tighten some flange bolts on top of the accumulator and as soon as I pulled on the wrench they blew all four relieve valves about six feet above my head. It felt as though I was being thrown in the air and was sure that I was dead and took me a realise what had happenedwhile to

• 1 month later...

Allthough it wasn't Sheffield in the old shipyards the 'dump' cubicles were sited over a continuous trough in which water permanently ran. Hence a paper boat set on fire in the trough at one end always brought shouts of anguish.

Where I served my time one apprentice would follow his fitter and sit in the next cubicle, pull the fitter's overalls through the gap at the bottom then pour water on the sleeve. He got away with it a couple of times until the fitter twigged.

I remember starting work on the Kelvin flats about 1968,the manager says to me,go up to the top floor & look for the 'ganger'.Whats his name?I said,Tom Jones he says.I told him to get lost,'I'm not stupid.He then flew into a rage,I thought to myself,oh oh he looks serious so off I go.After half an hour of being told,you've just missed him,he's up there or he's down there I'm getting more suspicious so I see this guy mixing plaster in an old bath so I asked him if there really was a bloke here called Tom Jones?yes he says,I'm his brother Cliff(remember welsh winger played for Spurs?)Well that was it for me,I just went ballistic,when all of a sudden this bloke comes round the corner & 'Cliff' shouts ,hey up Tom this young uns' been looking for you.Never felt so stupid in my life.:loopy: