Is it possible to change the color of your eyes?

I've just been watching a doco on lincoln hall the climber who

survived a night exposed on Everest at a height of 8,700 metres, which is known as the "death zone".

he had pulmonary oedema, fluid on the lungs, as well as frostbitten fingers, one frostbitten toe, a chest infection and cerebral oedema, or fluid on the brain,......and one thing that puzzled the experts was his eye color changed from blue to brown:huh:

I've just been watching a doco on lincoln hall the climber who

survived a night exposed on Everest at a height of 8,700 metres, which is known as the "death zone".

he had pulmonary oedema, fluid on the lungs, as well as frostbitten fingers, one frostbitten toe, a chest infection and cerebral oedema, or fluid on the brain,......and one thing that puzzled the experts was his eye color changed from blue to brown:huh:

My eyes regularly go red between Friday night and Saturday morning.

Eyes appearing to be blue, green, or light brown depends on the amount of Rayleigh scattering going on inside the eye (for an explanation of which, look it up online since I'm not entirely sure I understand the principles involved.)

If exposure to extreme conditions has caused a minor change in the chemistry, or physical shape, of his eyes than it's quite possible that the colour will have changed as a result. I've heard of this happening before for other reasons.

If anyone wants to change their eye colour, then coloured contact lenses are probably a safer option than spending a night on the summit of Everest.

To answer the question. Yes it is possible for an eye colour to change naturally. My own eyes changed colour at around six.

Also there is a surgery which can be done however this is not available in the UK as far as i'm aware. It involves a silicone lens being inserted into the eye. It is not without risks.

Archived