Thieving Scrap Men - How Low Can They Go!

Just been reading about scrap men (story in the link below) stealing bronze from the nation's war memorials. It's bad enough to go on to someone's property and steal personal possessions, but to steal from a memorial... is the lowest of the low. And for what, personal greed. Well, I hope these people are brought to justice and are shunned by their respective communities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8858346/Rapid-rise-in-thefts-from-war-memorials.html

Just been reading about scrap men (story in the link below) stealing bronze from the nation's war memorials. It's bad enough to go on to someone's property and steal personal possessions, but to steal from a memorial... is the lowest of the low. And for what, personal greed. Well, I hope these people are brought to justice and are shunned by their respective communities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8858346/Rapid-rise-in-thefts-from-war-memorials.html

The question is, what merchant is buying this off them?

The scrappie I deal with would not touch this kind of stuff, and would call in the law, after his men had smashed their faces in that is.

Yes it's a big problem all over Sheffield and although it is terrible that they have stolen bronze from war memorials its just as bad stealing from people's property ! It will carry on until the useless police do something about it :o

The question is, what merchant is buying this off them?

The scrappie I deal with would not touch this kind of stuff, and would call in the law, after his men had smashed their faces in that is.

Yes, exactly. This wouldn't be happening if all the scrap dealers were above board. Just as bad as those who have committed the act, in my opinion.

Yes, exactly. This wouldn't be happening if all the scrap dealers were above board. Just as bad as those who have committed the act, in my opinion.

Is there any chance some of the stolen metals are melted down first?

That way the scrappy wouldnt know what hes buying??

Is there any chance some of the stolen metals are melted down first?

That way the scrappy wouldnt know what hes buying??

Maybe, but what are the chances of having a large quantity of bronze. Scrappies aren't stupid and they will have their suspicions about the people and metals they deal with.

Maybe, but what are the chances of having a large quantity of bronze. Scrappies aren't stupid and they will have their suspicions about the people and metals they deal with.

In which case the police need to be targeting the scrap dealers with the same zeal they do the average motorist.

Yes it's a big problem all over Sheffield and although it is terrible that they have stolen bronze from war memorials its just as bad stealing from people's property ! It will carry on until the useless police do something about it :o

With regards to scrap men, the police are doing something about it. There was a post on here last week regarding the ongoing police operation. Other than the above, there is not much they can do... they haven't got the resources to watch every war memorial 24/7 and from what I read on here, people are reluctant to report scrap men they see in their locality.

Archived