Thieving Scrap Men - How Low Can They Go!

Why are people so suprised that things of value left outside unsecured are taken ? If I put my mobile phone outside for the night I would be amazed if it was still there in the morning!

But we are talking about memorials, which are mostly located outdoors, and have been around for decades.

Does this just happen in Sheffield or all over ? honstly I've never had anything taken off my property, i've had two metal benches out front for years, my neighbours motor bike is always parked outside the front of his house, we have no hedges or gates to our fronts, it sounds as though it's just certain parts of Sheffield thats all.

Does this just happen in Sheffield or all over ? honstly I've never had anything taken off my property, i've had two metal benches out front for years, my neighbours motor bike is always parked outside the front of his house, we have no hedges or gates to our fronts, it sounds as though it's just certain parts of Sheffield thats all.

It seems it happens all over, however, the amount of scrap vans in Sheffield is something else. I have lived in various places, but it seems it's a huge problem here in Sheffield.

But we are talking about memorials, which are mostly located outdoors, and have been around for decades.

Several years ago the flat York stone capping was taken from our front garden wall as was the stone from the drive of a nearby house.Why ? Because it had become trendy and therefore valuable. It,also, had been there for many decades.It really is a matter of simple economics.

Several years ago the flat York stone capping was taken from our front garden wall as was the stone from the drive of a nearby house.Why ? Because it had become trendy and therefore valuable. It,also, had been there for many decades.It really is a matter of simple economics.

Any kind of theft is bad, but there are some worse than others.

• 3 weeks later...

regarding the regular scrap men there isn't a lot the police can do. If they pull someone over the police would have have a hard time proving the stuff was stolen (people's property that is, not war memorials etc.).

by the time you've come home from work and noticed the stuff is missing and repot it, it's probably already been melted down.

Why are people so suprised that things of value left outside unsecured are taken ? If I put my mobile phone outside for the night I would be amazed if it was still there in the morning!

I've had two generators stolen from outhouses in back gardens that have both had shut gates.

admittedly They weren't locked up (my fault I know) but invading someone's property and entering a building is tantemount to theft.

I've had two generators stolen from outhouses in back gardens that have both had shut gates.

admittedly They weren't locked up (my fault I know) but invading someone's property and entering a building is tantemount to theft.

Of course it is, but that's what pikey scrap rats do - if nobody's about, they're down your drive and looking for anything they can lift.

Archived