'I am part of the most selfish generation in history', says Paxman

In the past 15 years, over 1.2 million buy to let mortgages have been taken out. Debt was used to purchase houses that had already been built and paid for. That debt could have been used to finance the building of much needed new housing.

But buy to let mortgages have tax advantages, and building housing requires planning permission, time and productive work on the behalf of real men, whom must be paid for their labour.

We actively discouraged the building of homes and unsustainable debt which has ultimately been forced upon the taxpayer.

We have minimum rents due to housing benefit, and directly subsidise these landlords whom do nothing productive, they harm wider society. And implied yields set a minimum price for housing.

It's nothing short of a national scandal.

I agree with you on those points which is why despite having the means to buy into the buy to let industry, I didn’t, we were talking about right to buy which I do support although I do think the houses should have been replaced.

I don’t have a massive problem with the private rental industry as long as house are built for the purpose and the tenancy agreements should be the same regardless of private or social housing. It should be the tenant’s decisions to move and not the landlords, unless the tenant is in breach of contract.

I know one young couple that have had to move three times in two years because the landlords wanted their houses back.

They(or their relatives) then sell the property on the free market and the price exceeds what many people can afford thereby excluding them.The funds gained from the initial sale were mot reinvested in a replacement.This HAS been portrayed in numerous documentaries and current affairs programmes which you clearly did not watch.Numerous ex-councoil properties are owned by private landlords who let to the highest bidder and not the most needy.

The person that buys it on the free market would still need a house so if it wasn’t available on the free market there would be more people looking for council houses, in most cases ex council houses are much cheaper than private and new builds. I do agree with you regarding the reinvesting of the money generated from their sale.

We have simply......................etc.You have exercised aseries of choices for which you must assume some responsibilty.You cannot simply blame governments as you can exert pressure as a citizen,albeit in a limited way.You have bought into a society and may have enjoyed some benefits,but what about those born into a less provident set of circumstances?Have you sought to help them at all?

I certainly take full responsibility for my choices, one of which was to live modestly and not get into debt during the 'boom' years. I also chose to take less money and pay into a pension so I wouldn't be such a burdon in my old age, which seems to annoy people immensly these days, and hope for a change in the euthanasia laws to allow a dignified exit when the time comes.

As for exerting pressure on the government(s,) a fat lot of good that's done, as the recent EU referendum debacle testifies to. I reiterate - the government does what it likes, takes the credit if it goes right, and tries to find scapegoats if it all goes wrong - which it has done spectacularly this time. And it is the banks that rule the governments, governments listen to them, not the likes of us, hence the relaxing of banking restrictions and failure of the FSI to do their job and regulate, which is at the bottom of this mess.

As for my personal responsibilities to my fellow man, I do volunteer work, give money regularly to a number of charities, look after my elderly father, and help my sons who are in and out of work and suffering dreadfully in these difficult times, as are a great many people. We need jobs, not that the banks are lending or doing much to help in that department...

I hate the way things are working out as much as anybody, and do everything I can to help, but I am furious to be used as propoganda in a cynical attempt to shift blame.

The person that buys it on the free market would still need a house so if it wasn’t available on the free market there would be more people looking for council houses, in most cases ex council houses are much cheaper than private and new builds. I do agree with you regarding the reinvesting of the money generated from their sale.

You are wrong as I have a house but I am also buying an ex-council property to rent in the private sector and hope to let it to members of the medical or similar profession,not to the less well-off.I am doing this on the advice of my accountant.

I certainly take full responsibility for my choices, one of which was to live modestly and not get into debt during the 'boom' years. I also chose to take less money and pay into a pension so I wouldn't be such a burdon in my old age, which seems to annoy people immensly these days, and hope for a change in the euthanasia laws to allow a dignified exit when the time comes.

As for exerting pressure on the government(s,) a fat lot of good that's done, as the recent EU referendum debacle testifies to. I reiterate - the government does what it likes, takes the credit if it goes right, and tries to find scapegoats if it all goes wrong - which it has done spectacularly this time. And it is the banks that rule the governments, governments listen to them, not the likes of us, hence the relaxing of banking restrictions and failure of the FSI to do their job and regulate, which is at the bottom of this mess.

As for my personal responsibilities to my fellow man, I do volunteer work, give money regularly to a number of charities, look after my elderly father, and help my sons who are in and out of work and suffering dreadfully in these difficult times, as are a great many people. We need jobs, not that the banks are lending or doing much to help in that department...

I hate the way things are working out as much as anybody, and do everything I can to help, but I am furious to be used as propoganda in a cynical attempt to shift blame.

You certainly behave in a creditable fashion and I can only wish you all the best.I hope you have a dignified exit but would hope that the law can accomodate your wishes.Did you see that Julie Walters play last year?

How do you expect them to work and pay tax, when they are denied land upon which they can work, denied access to the resources they need to work.

By denying them this access, your only causing yourself problems in the long run.

You are aware it isn't the 14th century surely?

You do post seriously repetetive stuff about landlords so i suppose you attempting to lead an agrarian peasants revolt would be a welcome diversion but its not entirely relevant to modern Britain.

You certainly behave in a creditable fashion and I can only wish you all the best.I hope you have a dignified exit but would hope that the law can accomodate your wishes.Did you see that Julie Walters play last year?

Thankyou. Please don't think I lack sympathy for young people today. Far from it. They have a hard time ahead and I will do what I can to help.

As for Euthanasia, I did see the Julie Walters play and found it profoundly moving and thought provoking. Maybe we can discuss that together at some future time.

Best wishes to you.

You are wrong as I have a house but I am also buying an ex-council property to rent in the private sector and hope to let it to members of the medical or similar profession,not to the less well-off.I am doing this on the advice of my accountant.

So someone will live in it then, and if it wasn't available on the free market for you to buy then the tenant you are planning on living in it would still need somewhere to live.

So someone will live in it then, and if it wasn't available on the free market for you to buy then the tenant you are planning on living in it would still need somewhere to live.

Are you seeking to be disingenuous-just admit that my point is valid and applicable.The net result is that the place which my tenant will vacate will not house a low income family

PS Are you a groundsman as you seem adept at moving goalposts?

Are you seeking to be disingenuous-just admit that my point is valid and applicable.The net result is that the place which my tenant will vacate will not house a low income family

PS Are you a groundsman as you seem adept at moving goalposts?

So far you haven't demonstrated how selling council houses to council tenants has reduced the amount of available housing. The sale of council houses contributed to affordable housing, if the ex council houses weren't on the open market there would be a bigger problem of affordable housing and more people would require social housing.

The problem is we have just gone through a debt induced housing bubble and government are doing everything possible to stop it crashing, and not enough properties have been built for the increased population.

Archived