'I am part of the most selfish generation in history', says Paxman

You provided not one single example of working without land, which was the original question.

This was a forerunner into the argument that private land ownership is immoral, and that it should be a collective resource for all, and that rents from said land should be then payable as a basic income to all.

My bold. I own about 3 acres of land which costs me about £200 a yr ish to keep in reasonable nick.

A Does this really make me immoral?

B How do I go about getting your contribution towards the upkeep of this 'collective resource'?

You are wrong as I have a house but I am also buying an ex-council property to rent in the private sector and hope to let it to members of the medical or similar profession,not to the less well-off.I am doing this on the advice of my accountant.

Your accountant isn't selling a house at the moment is he?

What do the figures look like for ROI on buy to let right now, I'd have thought they'd be really quite poor.

Are you seeking to be disingenuous-just admit that my point is valid and applicable.The net result is that the place which my tenant will vacate will not house a low income family

You didn't have a point did you? You were telling him he was wrong, whilst not having demonstrated that. His point was that whoever owns it, the house exists and it's ownership is therefore irrelevant to the housing shortage.

Your accountant isn't selling a house at the moment is he?

What do the figures look like for ROI on buy to let right now, I'd have thought they'd be really quite poor.

Probably not as poor of the chances of persuading somebody of the medical profession to rent an ex-council house.

You'd be surprised I think, young doctors aren't paid massive amounts and have to move around multiple times in their early career. I know several who don't rent, but have bought ex council houses or the equivalent style of inner suburb terrace. Most of them will be moving on from student digs that they've been in for 5 years, renting a decently decorated council house will be a big step up, they're not likely (IMO) to even care whether the house was previously a council house or not.

So far you haven't demonstrated how selling council houses to council tenants has reduced the amount of available housing. The sale of council houses contributed to affordable housing, if the ex council houses weren't on the open market there would be a bigger problem of affordable housing and more people would require social housing.

The problem is we have just gone through a debt induced housing bubble and government are doing everything possible to stop it crashing, and not enough properties have been built for the increased population.

The amount has remained the same but the composition has shifted in favour of private tenants and against the public/social tenant.I hope that is a little clearer.My A-level students seemed to grasp this point without repeated and varied explanations.

The amount has remained the same but the composition has shifted in favour of private tenants and against the public/social tenant.I hope that is a little clearer.My A-level students seemed to grasp this point without repeated and varied explanations.

What the difference between the two tenants.

Archived