Poorest people spend more on VAT than richest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15519727

The poorest 20% of UK households spend a higher proportion of their disposable income on VAT than the richest 20%, the Office for National Statistics said.

When Chancellor George Osborne announced the increase in his 2010 Emergency Budget, the government said that VAT was a progressive tax.

The likes of Cyclone, Conrod et al. on here also argue that VAT is a progressive tax. Yet evidence coming out now, proves this now to be to the contrary.

As a result of buying more fags and alcohol, no doubt!

Surely the basics should be VAT exempt. Most men would struggle to smoke more than 60 per day and drink more than 2 gallons of beer for example.

After buying the basics, they can then spend more money on the VAT exempt items.

Now forgive me for being an idiot - but if two families at the end of the financial spectrum partake in the same activities and spending on luxury items.

20 B&H a day, couple of bottles of red a week,tank of diesel every two weeks, is it not obvious that this will form a higher % of the poor persons income than the rich persons?

Or seriously am i getting something wrong? I know i could be getting confused today.

£100 vat items from £500 income is a higher % than £100 of a £1000 income.

VAT is only a progressive tax if you spend more on the items.

Now forgive me for being an idiot - but if two families at the end of the financial spectrum partake in the same activities and spending on luxury items.

20 B&H a day, couple of bottles of red a week,tank of diesel every two weeks, is it not obvious that this will form a higher % of the poor persons income than the rich persons?

Or seriously am i getting something wrong? I know i could be getting confused today.

£100 vat items from £500 income is a higher % than £100 of a £1000 income.

The poorer people are spending more of their money on VAT accruing items as a % of income.

Clearly too many of the basics attract VAT.

Fags and beer as the most obvious example.

Surely the basics should be VAT exempt. Most men would struggle to smoke more than 60 per day and drink more than 2 gallons of beer for example.

After buying the basics, they can then spend more money on the VAT exempt items.

The basics are exempt, food for example. Booze and tobacco are not basics.

The BBC article fails to provide a link to the underlying data or to really consider what it is they're saying.

It states that the poorest households spend more of their disposable income on VAT than the richest. Did they consider though that that's because the richest aren't spending their entire disposable income. That doesn't make it a regressive tax.

Archived