Division street 25 years ago

goldenfleece

Was searching for some pix on that sheffield pictures website but it was not working earlier.....just trying to visualize Division Street circa 1980 ish.....specifically.....

between what used to be MR KITES jazzy bohemian wine bar and the site of Frog and Parrot, (as I think that opened a few years later???) what shops were there?

Usd to walk along there every morning, but still cant remember what THE FORUM was, was it a factory in 1980 or was it derelict? I know it was far more old industrial buildings than it is now, but just cannot picture the shops at all.......

Walking into town on Division Street - starting at Mr Kites (same side) was a charity shop - then almost opposite the Motor Factors mentioned previously there were a few shops that were all knocked into one to form a ladies beauty salon, I think the first of its kind in Sheffield, called Flambards.

I am sure there were also a couple of ethnic jewellry/leather places as well.

Originally posted by pietro

On the site of The Forum (corner of Eldon Street) was a motor factors shop, for the life of me I cant remember its name, possibly Mitchell & Challand?. I used to go there for piston rings, gasket sets etc.

Before it was the motor factors it was a firm called Brammers ( spelling ?) they used to be sheet metal fabricators for the aircraft industry, probably up to about 1965 'ish

deecee

Originally posted by deecee

Before it was the motor factors it was a firm called Brammers ( spelling ?) they used to be sheet metal fabricators for the aircraft industry, probably up to about 1965 'ish

deecee

Would this have been Bramah Engineering who had a large factory out at Halfway nr Eckington?

Archived