History of St Vincent's Presbytery - Solly Street

jackip

I am currently researching the history of St Vincent's Presbytery, which was built in 1878. It was sold and became Provincial House Business Centre in 1983. There have been various publications about St Vincent's Church and surrounding area - the main ones being written by Ted Cummings and Vincent Hale. I am focussing on researching the history of the actual presbytery and the priests who lived and visited here. I would like to hear from anyone who has any interesting anecdotes or memorabilia e.g. photos. Thank you.

I went St Vincents school for a couple of years, in the early 60s, then moved to St Pauls (Now All Saints, Granville Rd) when it opened. I was also married in St Vincents Church.

I remember several of the priests there and I believe the housekeeper was an Irish lady called Alice. She had a strong Irish accent and as a child, about 12/13 years old, I couldn't understand a word she said, I remember she always looked a bit scruffy. Rumour had it that she couldn't read or write but was ace at picking out winning horses (don't know if that's true though).

The little shop next to the Church Hall on Solly St was run by the Gaffneys, who were also the caretakers. I believe one of their sons Terry, became a solicitor. I don't know if he is still alive but it may give you another line of enquiry maybe through the Law Society.

I don't know if any of this is any use to you, I hope so. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Good luck with your research.

Archived