The shops on Hatfield House Lane in the 1950s

The chip shop was run by a couple called Jowell and later had a seating area put in.

There was also Gregory's the bakers near the cobblers whose Devonshire Splits were legendary.

The greengrocers was owned by a couple called Manterfield and after that Jean and Ted Clark.

Before the chip shop was a chip shop, it was a shop like Arkwrights in Open All Hours, where you bought butter by the pound from a big block, they used wooden paddles to shape it into a brick shape and wrapped it in greaseproof paper, and biscuits and flour and things were sold loose from tubs.

Just remembered there was the post office on the corner which also sold ladies accessories and children's clothes this was run by Eileen and her husband, then next to that a chemist where we always took our photos for developing. Next to the Post Office which is now William Hill was a Laundrette where Joyce and Mrs Sarson worked, they did service washes there a bit like Dot in Eastenders, you could also get all the gossip there.

There was also a grocers next to the greengrocer (later became a Spar shop) this was owned by two brother and I can't remember their names but they also had a shop on Paper Mill Road Low Shiregreen.

And of course Bentons the newsagent which has been mentioned, Brian who managed it was a lovely chap and I remember having a crush on one of Mr Bentons sons (I think it was his son, long time ago now)

My parents moved onto Hatfield House Lane in 1959 when I was about a year old and I lived there till I got married.

Did the Manterfields live on follett later?

we used to come out of school hatfield and get the bus home to attercliffe.out side the bakers next to cobblers.the ladies would always have a yesterdays bun tray on top of counter 1d "thats old money" a bun, and my mum would go mad if I did`nt eat my tea. but you could`nt miss them buns.this was in 60s .and later we moved to 71 homestead rd next to mr and mrs Gott

• 3 years later...